Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
notrootbeer
Novice
Liked: never

Re: Only one drive used in a multi drive library

Post by notrootbeer »

We've been having issues with our tape backups... We're on Veeam 9.5.0.1922

We have two tape libraries with 4 tape drives each, totaling 8 tape drives. Each tape library has 40 available tapes labeled with our media pool name, L6BKUP.

Our problem is that Veeam isn't using multiple tape libraries as intended. We have 30 tape backup jobs all targeting the same media pool (L6BKUP). Parallel processing is set to utilize 8 tape drives.

When backups start, only the 4 tape drives in Library1 is being used. Library2 gets ZERO activity. 26/30 of our tape backup jobs are waiting for "available tape infrastructure" aka it's waiting for a tape drive to free up in Library1. Why won't these jobs use Library2??

The only time we see Library2 gets used is when Library1 is offline OR completely out of tapes. On that note, I guess it's nice that failover works but... We are unable to get Veeam to simultaneously use all our tape libraries. This causes a huge delay in completing tape backups.

Any suggestions?
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Hi notrootbeer.
We have two tape libraries with 4 tape drives each, totaling 8 tape drives. Each tape library has 40 available tapes labeled with our media pool name, L6BKUP.
You can split your tape libraries into two separate media pools. With such approach both devices are going to be used simultaneously.
When backups start, only the 4 tape drives in Library1 is being used. Library2 gets ZERO activity. 26/30 of our tape backup jobs are waiting for "available tape infrastructure" aka it's waiting for a tape drive to free up in Library1. Why won't these jobs use Library2??
Parallel processing in current version works only for drives within first library in the list of devices assigned to the media pool. The next library is going to be used only as failover device.

That's said we will have tape library processing available in the upcoming Update 4, which is just around the corner. Stay tuned for the public announcements. Cheers!
dvdaalst
Novice
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Dennis

Post by dvdaalst »

Hello,

since update 4 is out can I now use 1 Media pool and two libraries with parallel processing?

So 1 tape job (containing multiple backup jobs) to one media pool and the media pool consists of 2 libraries with 4 drives each.

Please confirm.
kspare
Enthusiast
Liked: 4 times
Full Name: Kevin Pare

Post by kspare »

I'm missing something here. I'm trying to do the same thing. I'm currently on Update3.

I created a media pool and added both my libraries.
I have the option "All tape drives are busy" selected for it to the next library.
Parallel processing is enabled, jobs pointed to this pool can use up to 8 drives, and also enabled for backup chains.

In the tape job, I have that media pool selected, and I have an entire repository selected.

it still only uses the 4 drives of one library and never goes to the second?

You say we can split the tape libraries into two pools, but now my problem is how do I get one job to write to both pools. This doesn't solve the problem when I want to write a large repo to tape?

Any help would be appreciated!
csydas
Expert
Liked: 47 times
Full Name: Harvey Carel

Post by csydas »

@Kevin,

Before U4, there wasn't "true" multi-library processing. All secondary libraries were purely failover. You can see it here in the new UG: https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... l?ver=95u4

Basically, to accomplish your specific goal, you need to update to Update 4
lyapkost
Expert
Liked: 48 times
Full Name: Konstantin

Post by lyapkost » 1 person likes this post

dvdaalst wrote:since update 4 is out can I now use 1 Media pool and two libraries with parallel processing?
Hi Dennis.

Yes, you only need to set both libraries in the media pool as Active (Tapes step - Manage) and enable parallel processing for 8 drives on Options step.

csydas wrote:Before U4, there wasn't "true" multi-library processing. Basically, to accomplish your specific goal, you need to update to Update 4.
Correct.
dvdaalst
Novice

Post by dvdaalst »

Thank you, will start planning the update.
dvdaalst
Novice

Post by dvdaalst » 2 people like this post

Thank you, just finished upgrading and it works.
Zach123
Enthusiast
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: zaki khan

Post by Zach123 »

Hi

That still doesn't work for us even though we are on 9.5 update 4b.

We have one tape library with two tape drives. One backup job targetted to the media pool.

Media pools have "Enable Parallel Processing for tape jobs using this media pool" and it's set to 2 tape drives.

Anything that I am missing...
lyapkost
Expert
Liked: 48 times
Full Name: Konstantin

Post by lyapkost »

Hi Zaki. Please check the second checkbox 'Enable parallel processing of backup chains' in the media pool Options step and restart the tape job. You have a single tape job with two source jobs so chain paralleling is required in your case.