Only one drive used in a multi drive library

Everything about backing up to tape

Only one drive used in a multi drive library

Veeam Logoby jimbliss » Sat Aug 24, 2013 2:19 pm

I have an MSL8096 with 2 FC LTO 4 drives. Everything seems to be working fine, except the backup to tape jobs (15) only use one drive. Shouldn’t it use both as they are separate jobs?

If I run a tape erase job it will use the unused drive while a backup to tape job is running.

Thanks,
Jim
jimbliss
Novice

Liked: never
Full Name: James Bliss

Re: Only one drive used in a multi drive library

Veeam Logoby tsightler » Sat Aug 24, 2013 9:07 pm

In the current implementation you can only use both drives if you use two different media pools and assign each job to a media pool.
tsightler
Veeam Software

Liked: 1737 times
Full Name: Tom Sightler

Veeam Logoby nunciate » Tue Aug 27, 2013 1:38 am

Are you really telling me I can't use 1 media pool for all my daily incremental backups and 1 for my weekly full backups? If I have to split my jobs up among multiple pools so I can target the 4 tape drives I have I will potentially use way more tape than I would if I just had a single pool that could use all available drives. I have to say I am extremely disappointed with how tape out was implemented. You all needed a lot more time to get this done right. It is almost unusable at this point with all the work arounds and Macgyvering I have to do just to get things to tape. Not to mention that every time I run a backup it uses the full tape backup pool to perform my incremental backups. Even though I have specified to use a different pool. I am quite frustrated at this point. This implementation was a big fail and a black eye for an otherwise excellent product.
nunciate
Expert

Liked: 22 times
Full Name: Alan Wells

Veeam Logoby tsightler » Tue Aug 27, 2013 2:00 am

I would suggest opening a support case regarding the issue with your jobs not properly using full and incremental tape pools as I have not seen this specific issue during any of the vendor tape testing that I have done or in the lab setup that I have so I'm not sure what could be causing that.

Regarding your feelings on the current tape support, I think it's only fair to point out that tape support is actually very complex, and most companies that have been doing tape support have done so for more than a decade so they have spent many years developing their solutions around media management and pooling. On the other hand this our our version 1.0 for this capability, and much of the feedback to this point has been excellent. Certainly there are many areas of improvement that are needed, but I think that's fully expected with the release of such a feature. I can assure you that future versions will continue to address the issues like this that customers report to us, and your feedback is appreciated.
tsightler
Veeam Software

Liked: 1737 times
Full Name: Tom Sightler

[MERGED] : using more that 1 tape drive

Veeam Logoby sonicasuk » Mon Sep 16, 2013 10:44 am

Hi guys,

just a quick question, i have moved over to use the veeam backup to tape and it works perfectly. the only issue that i have is with the old backup software we were able to utilise both tape drives in our backup uint, Hp msl4048.

i have opened a case with veeam but thought it would also be an idea to post the question here as well.
support ticket #00445490

i hope it is possible ??
kind regards

Sonic
sonicasuk
Enthusiast

Liked: 1 time
Full Name: a

Veeam Logoby v.Eremin » Mon Sep 16, 2013 10:57 am

As mentioned above, with the current implementation you have to use different media pools in order to utilize several drives simultaneously. Thanks.
v.Eremin
Veeam Software

Liked: 968 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Veeam Logoby sonicasuk » Mon Sep 16, 2013 11:38 am

do you have an eta as to when this will be possible, at the moment the backups are taking longer than normal ( with 2 drives).

i understand that other software providers have a head start when it comes to tape backups, but i would like to use veeam for our data to tapes but this may not be possible seeing that the backup time bascically doubles because we dont have access to the 2nd drive.

is it possible to give me some advice with regards to configuring the media pools so that i can utilize both drives.

basically we have a reasonably large backup (400-500 vms) first they are written to disk and then these are copied to tape.

i have 1 media pool for the tapes that i use for the data to disk.

any help would be appreicated. i think this is going to be a pain to arrange.

many thanks
regards
sonic
sonicasuk
Enthusiast

Veeam Logoby v.Eremin » Mon Sep 16, 2013 11:58 am

I assume you have more than one backup job in your environment, right? If so, you will have to create two different media pools (one per drive), as well as, two different “backup to tape” jobs and split existing backup jobs between them. Thanks.
v.Eremin
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby sonicasuk » Mon Sep 16, 2013 12:57 pm

Thanks for your quick response,

Ill have a play with the configuration and see what i can arrange,

many thanks for your help.

regards

sonic
sonicasuk
Enthusiast

Veeam Logoby v.Eremin » Mon Sep 16, 2013 1:09 pm

You’re welcome. Should any additional help be needed, don’t hesitate to let us know. Thanks.
v.Eremin
Veeam Software

[MERGED] : Multi LTO

Veeam Logoby sigmaos » Fri Oct 11, 2013 8:20 am

Hi all,

Veeam can handle multiple drives simultaneously ?

Thks !

Sig'
sigmaos
Influencer

Liked: 3 times

Veeam Logoby v.Eremin » Fri Oct 11, 2013 8:24 am

Yes, but you have to use different media pools – one per drive. Thanks.
v.Eremin
Veeam Software

[MERGED] Dual tape drives

Veeam Logoby raymond.mui » Tue Oct 29, 2013 2:19 am

We are using an HP MSL 2420 Tape Library, with a single tape drive. Technically, adding one more tape drive to the library reduces the backup time.

May I ask if Veeam backup to tape function is able to utilize both tape drives at the same time? Or in what way?

Thanks.

Raymond
raymond.mui
Influencer

Full Name: Raymond Mui

Re: Dual tape drives

Veeam Logoby v.Eremin » Tue Oct 29, 2013 4:02 am

Yep, it can. But for now you will have to create to different media pool and assign them to different drives; this way, VB&R will be able to utilize two drives simultaneously.

Thanks.
v.Eremin
Veeam Software

Re: Dual tape drives

Veeam Logoby raymond.mui » Tue Oct 29, 2013 4:08 am

So, different drives can only be used by different jobs simultaneously, right?
raymond.mui
Influencer

Full Name: Raymond Mui

Next

Return to Tape