Order backup jobs before backing up to tape

Discussions specific to tape backups

Re: Order backup jobs before backing up to tape

Veeam Logoby lyapkost » Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:27 am

I forgot about paralleling, the initial reason of creation two jobs. Then it's clear: if both jobs are simultaneously writing incremental backups, they use two drives and two tapes. Usually jobs start with several seconds delay and if backups are very small and have written within these several seconds by the first job the second one uses the same tape. So sometimes it happens and sometimes not. Try adding the following powershell (.ps1) pre-script to one of the jobs (you may vary the sleep time):
Code: Select all
Start-Sleep -Seconds 300

This will make one job to wait a bit before another finishes copying incrementals to tape and use the same tape afterwards.
lyapkost
Veeam Software

Liked: 15 times
Full Name: Konstantin

Veeam Logoby UT2015 » Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:49 am

Then it's clear: if both jobs are simultaneously writing incremental backups, they use two drives and two tapes.
Why is that clear? I disabled option "Enable parallel processing for tape jobs using this media pool" in the incremental pool, therefore I would assume they would automatically be executed one after another (only for the incremental pool!).

And why is it sometimes working? E.g. last night:

- Tape Job #1: Start time 00:26:55, End time 00:45:43, Duration 0:18:48
- Tape Job #2: Start time 00:26:55, End time 00:49:16, Duration 0:22:20
- Both jobs have written the incrementals to the same tape!

...and some days ago:
- Tape Job #1: Start time 00:25:11, End time 00:44:17, Duration 0:19:06
- Tape Job #2: Start time 00:25:11, End time 00:34:02, Duration 0:08:51
- The two jobs have written the incrementals to two different tapes!

According to your explanation I should delay one job for approx. 30 minutes to be sure that it starts after the first one finished, correct? I assume the "Eject media" option may stay enabled.
UT2015
Expert

Liked: 1 time

Veeam Logoby lyapkost » Tue Jun 20, 2017 12:34 pm

Ok, not so clear as I thought. Tried but cannot confirm it in my lab (9.5 upd2). Try to set different backup jobs in tape jobs' 'start after' schedule or to set delay as mentioned (I think, 5 minutes is enough and 30 minutes to be sure). If it still won't help, please, open a support ticket for logs need to be investigated to find the reason of such behavior.
lyapkost
Veeam Software

Liked: 15 times
Full Name: Konstantin

Previous

Return to Tape