OS File Level restore from Tape Backup

Everything about backing up to tape

OS File Level restore from Tape Backup

Veeam Logoby EnerconIT » Tue Oct 11, 2016 3:27 pm

We have Veeam 9.0 update 1 running on a VMware Esxi 5.1 environment with a Dell TL2000 Tape drive connected with SAS to a Windows Server 2012 physical server. I am trying to do a File level restore from a Tape backup. Per Veeam documentation I should be able to choose a specific file to restore from the Objects to Restore screen. The only file types that are listed when I Add an object are .vbk, .vib, and .vrb files. No specific OS files are listed or available. After the restore of those files is completed Veeam documentation says that the files will be in the Backups Disk(imported) location under Backup and Replication portion of Veeam but none are listed there for me to attempt to restore individual OS files. Does an OS file restoration from tape require us to mount the VM and start the VM to recover the file? Am I missing another step in the process?
EnerconIT
Influencer

Liked: never
Full Name: Enercon Engineering

Re: OS File Level restore from Tape Backup

Veeam Logoby PTide » Tue Oct 11, 2016 4:50 pm

Hi,

Does an OS file restoration from tape require us to mount the VM and start the VM to recover the file?
If you used backup to tape job then yes, you need to restore the VM backup and perform FLR from it. If you want to be able to restore files directly from tape then you should use file to tape job. For more info please check the guide.

Thanks
PTide
Veeam Software

Liked: 246 times

Veeam Logoby EnerconIT » Tue Oct 11, 2016 5:28 pm

Does restoring the VM and mounting it in Veeam require a Virtual Lab or can it be mounted directly to Veeam and then do a FLR from it?
EnerconIT
Influencer

Liked: never
Full Name: Enercon Engineering

Veeam Logoby Dima P. » Tue Oct 11, 2016 5:39 pm

No need to restore the original VM into production or test lab: you can just restore a backup file to the staging repository and then perform a file level recovery within VBR console.
Dima P.
Veeam Software

Liked: 440 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Return to Tape