Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
techK
Novice
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Ed

Quantum Scalar offline

Post by techK »

case ID: 05359752

So some work was done in our server room over the weekend, the ethernet cable between the devices was pulled out for a short while but plugged back into the correct port it was in previously and now the Quantum scalar is showing under offline tapes instead of libraries:

I've restarted the server and rescanned it to get the message Tape Library Quantum (offline) appears to be offline.

I'm lost as to what to do and getting behind on my weekly backups. The support tech so far thinks it is the Hewlett packard LTO Ultrium-5 drive driver could be the cause, but not sure how the driver could go bad from that or how I would properly reinstall it.

Any input on this would be appreciated.
Natalia Lupacheva
Veteran
Liked: 302 times
Full Name: Natalia Lupacheva

Re: Quantum Scalar offline

Post by Natalia Lupacheva »

Hi Edward,

Thank you for sharing your support case! I see you've already started troubleshooting process with Support, detected several errors during the WebEx session and now need to update the drivers.
Also I see you've sent a ton of logs, so I would say it's a good idea to give Support a chance to help you with all found errors (including the one with the driver).

Thanks!
Andreas Neufert
VP, Product Management
Liked: 1408 times
Full Name: Andreas Neufert

Post by Andreas Neufert »

Please check if the device is marked offline in the windows device manager and mark it online there again.
techK
Novice

Post by techK »

@Andreas,

Both drivers under Tape drives are online and working correctly from what I can see, so I'm baffled why there is an issue through the veeam backup software.
Andreas Neufert
VP, Product Management

Dump question... reboot the Veeam Tape Server and restart the Backup service on the main backup server?
I know this is maybe stupid but something that can be easily done maybe now. Other than this, I would work with our support that can have a deeper look.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Ed,

1. Tape server component should be up an running (this is the server where you connect your library to). To double check In Veeam B&R console > Tape click Tape Servers find the needed server and hit rescan (this would also collect the information about all connected tape devices).
2. If tape server is ok, make sure that both drives and tape media changer is visible in the device manager on this tape server machine. You may need to install the correct vendor driver for the changer even if drives are visible.

Let us know how it goes. Thanks!
techK
Novice

Post by techK »

@Dima,

The rescan just says it appears to be offline.

For my tape drives, it shows two of the exact same: Hewlett Packard LTO Ultrium-5 drive. I'm not seeing anything for media changer and I know we run a HP server, could that be the issue?
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Check the library properties in the Veeam Console, based on the screenshot you have enabled Use native SCSI commands instead of Windows driver check box. If that's correct - search for Unknown medium changer in the device manager. If it's not there, likely the library is somehow misconfigured or incorrectly connected.

If the checkbox is not checked - you must have a proper Quatum drivers to be installed for the medium changer. Here is the screenshot from forum folks:

You can try both configurations (with or without vendor drivers).
techK
Novice

Post by techK »

Thanks Dima,

Looks like it is setup through SCSI commands. I do see a HP logical volume SCSI disk device and Nimble server SCSI disk device. So my best guess something is incorrectly connected, any ideas what I should be looking for? Or a setting to double check?

Thank you.
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

I am afraid I cant help from the Quantum side of things, but I'd check the connection and try to switch to vendor's drivers: Scalar i40 and Scalar i80 Downloads. Some folks reported that the library may now work over the default SCSI Unknown Medium Changer. Thanks!
Andreas Neufert
VP, Product Management

Can you please check in the Veeam UI if we detect the tape drive now as independant tape drive not associated with the library. If this is the case, then support can heal this. There are some reg keys to force the connection.