Recovery from Tape - Needs major work

Everything about backing up to tape

Re: Recovery from Tape - Needs major work

Veeam Logoby Didi7 » Mon Jun 13, 2016 12:51 pm

You might help yourself, if you create more Diskjobs and spread your VMs to different Jobs before sending them to tape. In restore cases, you don't need to have so much disk space, because *.vbk's are a lot smaller and restore time is shorter.

Do not be surprised, if you put all VMs into 1 diskjob and vbk-sizes beyond several terrabytes as a result.

Be flexbible, as long as direct GRT restore of files or application items from tape is not supported.

Regards,
Didi7
Using Veeam Backup & Replication 9.5 Update 2 on every backup server here!
Didi7
Expert

Liked: 15 times

Veeam Logoby agrob » Mon Jun 13, 2016 2:24 pm

Well i agree Didi7, but what if you have ONE file server with several tb of data... ;-)
looking forward how veeam will solve this "single item direct from tape" restore. i'm sure they can do it somehow ;)
agrob
Enthusiast

Liked: 8 times
Full Name: Andre

Veeam Logoby Didi7 » Mon Jun 13, 2016 2:31 pm

Quote agrob:
Well i agree Didi7, but what if you have ONE file server with several tb of data... ;-)

********************************************************************************************************************

Well, in this case you are lost in space. Creating single VMs with large partitions, instead of distributing data to several servers, can be a pain in the ass, because snapshot consolidation could take several minutes or hours, if storage is slow or the frequency of data change is very high :shock:

Regards,
Didi7
Didi7
Expert

Veeam Logoby agrob » Mon Jun 13, 2016 2:38 pm

it is a general problem to restore a single file out of a "Image backup" or vbk file. I agree having to large volumes is a pain. but there is also a time problem with smaler volumes. if you have a file Server with a 1tb volume (which is not large in the year 2016) and you can restore for example with 100MB/s you Need around 3hours just to restore it back to a temporary space to Mount it after an extract the file. if you file Server has 2x 1TB lun you Need arround 6h... and well, just creating 2 file Servers for around 2tb of data is not the way to go... there is a Need for a solution restoring single item from tape offload...
agrob
Enthusiast

Liked: 8 times
Full Name: Andre

Veeam Logoby Didi7 » Mon Jun 13, 2016 3:50 pm 2 people like this post

Yes, even with 160MB/s on LTO6 it still takes a lot of time, if data ist not available in the backup repository and needs to be restored from tape, but even competitor products like Veritas Backup Exec and Veritas NetBackup cannot restore single items from tape, if data on tape is VMware snapshot data.

Btw, LTO7 can read and write data with 320MB/s, which doubles transfer rate compared to the difference between LTO5 and LTO6, which is only marginal.

I would be more than happy to have GRT restore of single items from tape as well, I just gave some advice maybe how to prevent big *.vbk file restores :D

Regards,
Didi7
Didi7
Expert

[MERGED] Feature Request - FLR / File Copy from Tape

Veeam Logoby MichaelHaug » Wed Jul 27, 2016 2:27 pm

Dear Veeam Team,

the latest "veeam - backup and replication" version doesnt support a direct file copy from "tape to disc". The backup was made by a "backup to tape" job. The feature to list the file directory of the tape is also missing.
Actual, you have to copy the hole backup repository to a free space of your veeam server( needs a lot of terrabytes with file-server infrastructures), than load it into your veeam disc repository. After this, brows with FLR Browser to the file and recover it.

It would be a great help if a tape file recovery will be more comfortable like this...

Best Regards

Michael Haug
MichaelHaug
Lurker

Liked: never
Full Name: Michael

Veeam Logoby v.Eremin » Wed Jul 27, 2016 3:13 pm 1 person likes this post

Hi, Michael,

Your post has been merged into existing discussion talking about the same matter. Kindly, see the answers provided above by Dmitry regarding VM and files direct restore from tapes.

Thanks.
v.Eremin
Veeam Software

Liked: 1007 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Veeam Logoby pco » Thu Jul 28, 2016 7:25 am

+1 as it is a requirement for us, multiple file servers serving multiple remote site, size between 400 GB up to 8 TB so we have multiple request to restore single file.
pco
Novice

Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Philippe Combes

[MERGED] Restore Single Files from Tape!

Veeam Logoby igetyaall » Thu Aug 04, 2016 9:54 am

Hi Community,

we use Veeam 8.0 and we do our Backups on Tape, now the Problem is that an User wants some Files Restored that are on Tape.
Is it Possible to Restore Single Files from a Tap ? I dont want to Restore the Full .VBK File from tape just like certain files.

Hope u can Help,

TY
igetyaall
Lurker

Full Name: Gustav

Veeam Logoby v.Eremin » Thu Aug 04, 2016 10:15 am

If you want to restore a particular guest file stored inside a backup file, you need to restore a backup file first, and, then, executed guest OS file restore. Thanks.
v.Eremin
Veeam Software

Liked: 1007 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Veeam Logoby igetyaall » Thu Aug 04, 2016 10:17 am

Ty for Answering
igetyaall
Lurker

Full Name: Gustav

Veeam Logoby charissebenson » Thu Aug 04, 2016 11:40 am

Hello, I would prefer file restore if I have to choose. Actually I would prefer to have both
charissebenson
Lurker

Full Name: Charisse Benson

[MERGED] Restore from Tape

Veeam Logoby tommmoe » Mon Nov 14, 2016 10:40 pm

Hi all,

Just a little confused here with regards to restoring individual VM's from tape backup.

I'd just like someone to clarify if the only way I can restore an individual file from a VM which has been backed up to tape (in a job with many other VM's) is to copy over the whole backup job which is roughly 3TB just to restore one single file from a VM?

Thanks in advance
tommmoe
Influencer

Full Name: Tom

Re: Restore from Tape

Veeam Logoby GladstoneRC » Tue Nov 15, 2016 12:23 am

HI tommmoe,

When I need to do this I have to restore the VM that holds the file and not the entire backup job. Not sure if you can just restore a volume though as this would be even better.

So if I only needs tapes 2 and 3 from my 8 tape backup to restore the VM then that is all that the restore job asks for.
GladstoneRC
Novice

Liked: 3 times
Full Name: GladstoneRC

Re: Restore from Tape

Veeam Logoby tommmoe » Tue Nov 15, 2016 2:49 am

Hey mate,

That sounds like how I would expect it to work, maybe I'm doing it wrong?

Backup and Replication > Backups > Tape > Right click on the VM i want restored > Restore entire VM (it shows me just that VM which looks great and is only 100 GB) > Next > When I choose the repository to restore to it tells me the required space is 1.7 TB..

Start the restore job and it goes off to restore the whole entire backup job which is 1.7 TB
tommmoe
Influencer

Full Name: Tom

PreviousNext

Return to Tape