Recovery from Tape - Needs major work

Everything about backing up to tape

Re: Recovery from Tape - Needs major work

Veeam Logoby kpier883 » Wed May 31, 2017 9:18 pm 1 person likes this post

Have really been considering Veeam B&R, but have grave concerns about this limitation. The first request for this functionality in this thread was in July 2014.

Veeam needs three years and still hasn't addressed this feature request :?: Doesn't seem to be much of a priority.

I have been considering Veeam as a replacement for my company's current backup product, but this seems like a big limitation to me.

Kirk
kpier883
Novice

Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Kirk

Veeam Logoby B2r2 » Tue Jun 06, 2017 8:02 am

HI Kirk

As a work around I started backing up files to tape which worked fine for a time but then I hit another wall where the database for SQL express got to big and started failing.
I wasn't aware you needed to have a minimum of SQL standard in a production environment for simple jobs like backing files up to tape.
I do like Veeam and would recommend it to anyone but you currently you do need to plan for simple things like backing files up to tape and recovering from tape.
Currently in the process of buying and installing SQL standard so that I can start backing files to tape up again.
This does not get around the fact you need adequate storage to recover a file located on a VM, but it does allow you to plan the recovery of files that you think you may need to recover from tape.

Craig
B2r2
Influencer

Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Craig Wardell

[MERGED] Restoring single file from tape?

Veeam Logoby Bartfliet » Mon Jun 12, 2017 8:47 am

Hello everybody,

I'm trying to restore a single file from tapes. I've loaded up the appropriate tapes from a month and a half back. Though when I go to the tapes in "veeam backup and replication" I can only see the VBK files, and not individual files in those VBK.

When I go to "restore from tape" and click the "add" button to choose a location I can browse to the needed VM server, but again, I can only see severeal VBK and two VIB files. Is there a way to see the files held in those VBK files on the tapes, or a way to do a search for the file I needed?

Thanks in advance!
Bartfliet
Lurker

Liked: never

Veeam Logoby v.Eremin » Mon Jun 12, 2017 1:41 pm

If you enable indexing in backup job settings and add backup server to Enterprise Manager, you will be able to search individual files residing on tapes. Thanks.
v.Eremin
Veeam Software

Liked: 968 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

[MERGED] Granular restore from tape

Veeam Logoby applc » Wed Jun 14, 2017 3:35 pm

I understand that currently it is not possible to do a granular restore from tape. But I see that you can restore a VM from tape back to a repository. Once that is in the repository, can a granular restore be done from there?
applc
Influencer

Liked: never
Full Name: Chris A

Veeam Logoby v.Eremin » Wed Jun 14, 2017 3:50 pm 1 person likes this post

If you're using per-VM chain, you can restore a particular VM to repository. Otherwise, a whole backup (most likely, containing other VMs as well) will be restored there. After that, you will be able to perform granular item restore. Thanks.
v.Eremin
Veeam Software

Liked: 968 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Veeam Logoby mtaggart » Fri Jun 16, 2017 9:20 pm

+1 for granular file restore

3+ years and waiting ... tap, tap, tap, tap ....

We get told by those from Veeam in the forum to post things like this, that we'll be considered and yet, this one thread has been around 3 yrs and it's still not in the product despite a lot of feedback stating it's very much needed.

What gives? We did as asked.
mtaggart
Influencer

Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Mike Taggart

Previous

Return to Tape