Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: Recovery from Tape - Needs major work

Post by veremin »

Currently only VM can be restored directly from tape backup. Direct restore of individual file is on our radar. Thanks.
Wizzard
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Merlin

[MERGED] Feature Request - Restore Data from Tape

Post by Wizzard »

Hey,

sometimes i have to restore data from tape. In that case i have to restore ALL the data to a disk repository first. Thats pretty bad when you have to restore files from a fileserver with more than 5-6 TB backup file size.

--> I want to restore the files directly from tape to reduce repository space and restore time (like arcserve does).

Also i want to see if the file is in the selected tape backup or not. -->
1) Catalog content of used GFS tapes on file level?
2) Then select that file and only restore that one.

Best Regards
Merlin
bubba1983
Novice
Full Name: David Boudreau

Re: Feature Request - Restore Data from Tape

Post by bubba1983 »

I run into the same issue as Wizzard. It would be nice to be able to restore directly from tape as a lot of times people need files that got accidently deleted 6 months ago and having to restore a 6TB VM to disk first just to restore 2-3 files makes the restore process long.
filip.radkovic
Novice
Full Name: filip radkovic

Post by filip.radkovic »

+1 for granular file restore from tapes.

Currently I'm restoring a whole fileserver VM back to repository to be able to then restore a single xls file from a year ago. Luckily I have space for it, but it will take a lot more time than I would like to.
sreejiths
Influencer
Liked: 4 times
Full Name: Sreejith Soman

Post by sreejiths »

+ 1 for granular recovery
jveerd1
Service Provider
Liked: 10 times
Full Name: Joeri van Eerd

Post by jveerd1 »

mbolster
Lurker
Full Name: Martijn B

Post by mbolster »

Would be a great feature!
O1982
Influencer
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Owen Thompson

Post by O1982 »

B.F.
Expert
Liked: 9 times

Post by B.F. »

Are we talking 2018 radar or beyond?
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Unfortunately, we cannot share any ETA currently. Thanks.
simcomit
Influencer
Full Name: Jason Spencer

Post by simcomit »

Another + 1 for granular recovery..
jayscarff
Service Provider
Liked: 12 times

Post by jayscarff »

Another + 1 for granular recovery..and multiple drives bring used in the a library.

EDIT: Ignore me! sorted!
Jason
VMCE
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Thank you!
jayscarff wrote:...and multiple drives bring used in the a library.
You can use parallel processing for tape jobs, are you referring to parallel processing for recovery from tape?
sdvorak
Lurker

Post by sdvorak »

Plus-one for me. I 100 percent agree with pawel's post. Good file backup and recovery for tape would be a game changer for us. But granular recovery from tape would be a nice feature.
paruccone
Enthusiast
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Alessandro Tiberti

Post by paruccone »

Feature suggestion: better restore selector

Actually when restoring it's only possible to select one folder per task. Let's say I have 5 folders from A to E. Each folder contains 10 subfolders from 0 to 9.
If I want to restore all folders except C\5 I have to add:
- A
- B
- D
- E
- C\1
- C\2
- C\3
- C\4
- C\6
- C\7
- C\8
- C\9

It would be much better if it was possible to do a "select all" and then unflag C\5

PS: I'm using the free edition, if the feature is already available in the non-free edition, I apologize for the spam ;)
Didi7
Veteran
Liked: 59 times

Post by Didi7 »

paruccone wrote:PS: I'm using the free edition, if the feature is already available in the non-free edition, I apologize for the spam ;)
Don't worry :shock:
Using the most recent Veeam B&R in many different environments now and counting!
KiwiJJ
Expert
Full Name: John Jones

[MERGED] Restoring from tape

Post by KiwiJJ »

Hi,
If I need to restore a file from the file server which is a 3.3 TB VDK file does Veeam need to restore the whole 3.3 TB from tape to disk first before I can select the files ?

thanks,

John
DGrinev
Veteran
Liked: 247 times
Full Name: Dmitry Grinev

Re: Restoring from tape

Post by DGrinev »

Hi John,

Can you clarify which files you have on the tape, .vbk and .vib or just files and folders?
Please take a look on the existing big discussion. Thanks!
KiwiJJ
Expert

Post by KiwiJJ »

Hi Dmitry,
As this is a GFS backup to tape there is just the .vbk file for the file server but also .vbk's for all the other VM's on tape as well

thanks,

John
KiwiJJ
Expert

Post by KiwiJJ »

Looking back over this thread I see that the restore of a single file from tape will take days

Not good enough for an enterprise backup solution. I also see that this feature has been requested for years and yet still nothing. As you would be aware from the majority of comments in this thread single file restore is what all of your customers want. And timely restore of files is a basic requirement for a backup product.
DGrinev
Veteran
Liked: 247 times
Full Name: Dmitry Grinev

Post by DGrinev »

That's correct, you cannot perform file level restore from backup on tape at the moment.
This feature is on our radar, but there is no estimated time I can give you.
We are always listening cautiously to the community needs and do our best to implement solutions. Thanks!
AlexB82
Enthusiast
Liked: 8 times
Full Name: Alex

Post by AlexB82 »

+1 for enhancing this restore functionality. We have file servers that are 6-9TB each, and it's a pain to restore the entire VM to a repository just to grab one odd excel file, especially when the end user isn't sure of when they lost it or made changes. It can take a week sometimes to load enough restore points to get their file back, which is especially annoying when the customer is bugging you constantly as it's "only one small file they need".
pronto
Expert
Liked: 4 times

Post by pronto »

+1
AlexB82 wrote:+1 for enhancing this restore functionality. We have file servers that are 6-9TB each, and it's a pain to restore the entire VM to a repository just to grab one odd excel file, especially when the end user isn't sure of when they lost it or made changes. It can take a week sometimes to load enough restore points to get their file back, which is especially annoying when the customer is bugging you constantly as it's "only one small file they need".
I agree with that. We are currently running a test to restore the data to the backup server before writing it to tape with a file to tape backup but this is as much nonsense as recovering multiple terabytes to get one file from the backup. I can still hope not to need a backup up to tape so often but hope is what the theologians usually do... :(

Thx & Bye Tom
amo368
Lurker
Full Name: Adam Morris

Post by amo368 »

So how is everyone getting around this issue? We just bought Veeam, assuming that it would be able to do this since every other backup software in the world just about does that's worth a crap. Being able to restore a single file from a tape is absolutely necessary in our business and we are now stuck with a pile of software that doesn't work for us...

Any clever workarounds for this? Our ultimate goal is to do a VM backup to disk, use that backup to backup a full to tape each week and be able to restore a single file from those tapes...
agrob
Veteran
Liked: 48 times
Full Name: Andre

Post by agrob »

well in my opinion there arte two "options"

1. reserve the needed amount of free disk space that you are able restore the biggest backup back from tape to this diskspace. then you are able to restore single items from there.
2. most of the restores requests we have are from our file servers and most of these restores are from recovery points from the last half year. we will plan a big enouth backup repo to hold restore points for 6 months for those fileservers on disk. if we need to restore files older than half a year (i guess less then 10% are older than one year) we still have to restore the whole vm.

but i agree, veeam should bring another solution here to restore directly from tape...
Ioannis.T
Enthusiast
Full Name: Ioannis Tsitsiklis

Post by Ioannis.T »

Hi amo368 ,
Can you please to which solutions are you referring that already does this? I am really interesting to check it out.
We also have Backup Exec and it does not support it. It must stage the VMDK first to a disk and then extract the file.

On one of the file servers we have we perform a file based backup through the agent, not a VM based. So the files are restored directly through tape. This is an another solution, although it might not be suitable for all cases.

Thanks
csydas
Expert
Liked: 47 times
Full Name: Harvey Carel

Post by csydas »

agrob wrote:
but i agree, veeam should bring another solution here to restore directly from tape...
Out of curiosity, how would you see this working? We use tape heavily in our environment, but both myself and my systems engineer are pretty familiar with tape and its benefits/limitations. For us, Tape is purely archival since you can't really seek properly on magnetic media like you can with an HDD or SSD. As is such, our SLAs are adjusted 100% to let our org know that once something hits the tape retention, they're in for a wait.

Speaking just physically, a tape can't randomly seek like an HDD can, it can only sequentially read, and given that, you can't really do any dynamic operations with the data residing on a magnetic medium like a tape. You need to get it to a medium that allows for random I/O. When data is encapsulated within some other container (a vmdk or a vbk, or both), how do you see the software handling this? Personally I just cannot envision how this would even work without just absolutely murdering the tape medium with random seeks.
andyrbates
Lurker
Full Name: Andy Bates

Post by andyrbates »

I have been testing backing up to AWS VTL and the solution looked great ... until you need to do a restore and have to restore the whole tape which could mean downloading 100s of GB of data to just restore one small file. This definitely needs to be investigated as would make AWS a far more attractive option.
Peteh
Lurker
Full Name: Peter Horree

[MERGED] Tape restore of folder from VM

Post by Peteh »

I have a rather large file server VM (9TB). I keep 14 daily restore points on disk. I take weekly, monthly, yearly tape backups. I just had a request to restore a folder from beyond the 14 day retention on disk. So I got the appropriate tapes from storage, and imported them back into the LTO 6 library. I started the restore to repository job, and it took 28 hours to copy the file back to the repository, and then only several minuets to do the actual folder restore. This is really unacceptable in the real world. Is there any plan to improve the performance of tape backups and restores. I am used to a competitors product, having only recently switched to Veeam. This whole restore would have only taken a few hours with that product. I am not happy with the tape functionality in Veeam.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Post by Gostev »

Hi, Peter.

With our image-level backup architecture, we see tape as an archival media, restores from which are supposed to be extremely rare and have the corresponding SLA attached. As such, currently there are no plans to deliver file-level recovery directly from tape for image-level backups.

However, have you considered backing up your large file server with the File to Tape job instead? This job type creates tape backups which support fast file-level restores from tape - exactly what you are looking for. Please, do check it out and let us know.

Thanks!