Recycle expired tapes to other pools

Discussions specific to tape backups

Recycle expired tapes to other pools

Veeam Logoby Petrie » Mon Jan 20, 2014 12:26 pm

Hi,

VBR seems to always take new tapes from the pool "free" even if there are expired tapes in the pool (let´s say pool A). This is okay so far, but if another pool (e.g. pool B) requests a tape, there are no free tapes left.
I would like to allow the expired tapes to be recycled from pool A to pool B.

How can I achieve this? If not possible I would have to try to calculate exactly how many tapes are necessary for each pool and cycle and assign them in advance.

Does anyone have an idea how to solve this?

Thanks in advance,
Helge
Petrie
Enthusiast

Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Helge Hagedorn

Re: Recycle expired tapes to other pools

Veeam Logoby v.Eremin » Mon Jan 20, 2014 12:35 pm

I would like to allow the expired tapes to be recycled from pool A to pool B.

Could elaborate on it a little bit? You want for pool B to take tapes from pool A, once these tapes are expired, right? Thanks.
v.Eremin
Veeam Software

Liked: 1038 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Veeam Logoby Petrie » Mon Jan 20, 2014 1:00 pm

Yes, that is exactly what I want. :wink: Sorry for being short.

I have six different pools and I do NOT want to distribute new tapes to the pools after inserting them into the library. Instead I want to leave them in the "free" pool and have them assigned automatically from there when a tape is needed. This works so far.

If a tape is needed VBR always takes a NEW tape. This is by design, I assume. So, as time goes by, there are no more tapes in the "free" pool.
This leads to the situation that - as long as there are tapes in the "free" pool - , the old and expired tapes remain in their pools, but are not used any further.

Once a pool needs a new tape, but has no expired ones, the job cannot continue, because there are no more tapes in the "free" pool and because it cannot take one the expired tapes of any other pool.
Petrie
Enthusiast

Veeam Logoby v.Eremin » Mon Jan 20, 2014 2:09 pm

Yes, that is exactly what I want.

This is by design. VB&R won't assign to media pool any tapes that don't belong to it.

VBR seems to always take new tapes from the pool "free" even if there are expired tapes in the pool (let´s say pool A).

According to our QA team, expired tapes should have a priority over tapes from "Free" Media Pool. In other words, if there are expired tapes present in the given media pool, they should be taken first.

So, you might want to open a ticket with support team to confirm your environment, as well as, the settings of media pool.

Thanks.
v.Eremin
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby nunciate » Tue Jan 21, 2014 8:30 pm

I would like to have this added as a feature. Possibly as part of the media pool settings. The setting would allow tapes that expire to automatically move into the Free Media Pool so they become available for use in any pool.
I know this is an option in other backup software I have used so it is a pretty common thing. It would allow for more efficient use of media across pools.

I do this manually today. Each day I received tapes back from offsite. I check-in the tapes and verify their info in Veeam. If they are truly ready to expire I manually move them to the Free Media Pool thus making them available for any job to use.
nunciate
Expert

Liked: 23 times
Full Name: Alan Wells

Veeam Logoby v.Eremin » Wed Jan 22, 2014 8:14 am

Currently, it's not possible to change this behaviour. Nevertheless, I believe that you can achieve what you're after with little PS scripting in place. The script will check the status of mediums in corresponding media pools, whether they are expired or not, and move the expired ones of free media pool.

Thanks.
v.Eremin
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby Petrie » Wed Jan 22, 2014 8:42 am

v.Eremin wrote:According to our QA team, expired tapes should have a priority over tapes from "Free" Media Pool. In other words, if there are expired tapes present in the given media pool, they should be taken first.

Hm, - that surprises me. I think, I will do a little testing again. Right now, I only have a very small library und a little number of tapes. This might have influenced the test results negatively.
Petrie
Enthusiast

Veeam Logoby Petrie » Wed Jan 22, 2014 8:48 am

nunciate wrote:I would like to have this added as a feature. Possibly as part of the media pool settings. The setting would allow tapes that expire to automatically move into the Free Media Pool so they become available for use in any pool.
I know this is an option in other backup software I have used so it is a pretty common thing. It would allow for more efficient use of media across pools.

+1

This would really be great. We use EMC Networker where this is an option that can be set for each media pool: "Recycle to other pools", as well as "Recycle from other pools".
Petrie
Enthusiast

Veeam Logoby Petrie » Wed Jan 22, 2014 8:53 am

v.Eremin wrote:Nevertheless, I believe that you can achieve what you're after with little PS scripting in place. The script will check the status of mediums in corresponding media pools, ...

How can I determine wether a tape has expired or not? Perhaps I am missing something, but the only way I am currently aware of is to _try_ to mark a certain tape as "free" and than wait for the "...not retired yet..." message. ;-)
Or is it a flag you can query via PS?

Thank you very much for your help!
Petrie
Enthusiast

Veeam Logoby v.Eremin » Wed Jan 22, 2014 9:04 am

There should to be a parameter of tape medium available through PS. Some Boolean parameter, like "isexpired" or similar. I will provide more information, once I have access to backup console.

Thanks.
v.Eremin
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby Petrie » Wed Jan 22, 2014 10:45 am

Thanks in advance!

Meanwhile I tried this:

Code: Select all
Get-VBRTapeMedium | Select Name, IsFree, IsLocked, Retired

I have two interesting tapes (one has expired to my opinion and it doesn´t show the "Retention period is not over" message when trying to mark it as free, the one is still within the retention period), but the output is the same for both tapes.

I will wait for your information. :wink:
Petrie
Enthusiast

Veeam Logoby v.Eremin » Thu Jan 23, 2014 10:17 am

Just checked and the Boolean parameter I was talking about is "$_.IsOverwriteProtectionPeriodOver()". Thanks.
v.Eremin
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby Petrie » Thu Jan 23, 2014 12:52 pm

Thank you very much!

Code: Select all
Get-VBRTapeMedium | Where-Object { $_.IsOverwriteProtectionPeriodOver() -eq 1}

...works great :-)

Nontheless it would be great, if you could see this in the GUI and if we had an option like "Move exprired tapes back to free pool" (or "Recycle expired tapes to other pools", as mentioned before).

Regards,
Helge
Petrie
Enthusiast

Veeam Logoby v.Eremin » Thu Jan 23, 2014 1:20 pm 1 person likes this post

We're planning to improve tape GUI in the one of the next product versions. So, thanks for the feedback; much appreciated.
v.Eremin
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby Dima P. » Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:28 am

Hello,
VBR seems to always take new tapes from the pool "free" even if there are expired tapes in the pool (let´s say pool A). This is okay so far, but if another pool (e.g. pool B) requests a tape, there are no free tapes left.

The tape counts as expired when all the "backup sets" (the backups taken during each backup sessions) are expired. Media set creation option enabled to create a new media for every backup session will guarantee that your tape retention equals media pool retention.However, if tape holds more than one backup set, the retention would be taken from the last backup set on tape.

So let’s say your tape media hold 3 backups from Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday. Retention on the media pool was set to 1 week. Such tape would be retired (and will be reused inside this media pool) only at the end of next Wednesday. The time of the expiration may vary as the last job run may vary, but we count the expiration entity as “day”.

Thank you for the heads about the recycling, we would discuss it with the team!
Dima P.
Veeam Software

Liked: 482 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Next

Return to Tape