Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
redhorse
Expert
Liked: 10 times
Full Name: RH

Remove Tape from catalogue

Post by redhorse »

Hello,

we want to remove data from the catalogue without losing information about the tape media, is that possible?

We copy a lot of old files from old file servers for long time archival to tape and just to have more security we copy it twice (that means to two tapes), but because there are millions of files the catalogue is growing fast. We don’t really need the catalogue data from these tapes (especially not from two tapes), how can I delete just this data? I know that I have to run a catalog-job in case of restore, that's clear.

Greetings
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Remove Tape from catalogue

Post by Dima P. »

Hi redhorse,

Yes, you can just right click the needed tape and choose 'Remove from the Catalogue'. It will force VBR to forget this tape and its data but you can re import it anytime.
redhorse
Expert

Post by redhorse »

Thanks, I think I should do it like this.
redhorse
Expert

Post by redhorse »

Just one more thing:

Veeam was much faster and the database much smaller after I removed the tape from catalog, so that works. But I was very surprised that the catalog-job of the tape (about 1,2 TB data with 5.000.000 files) just need 30 minutes to build the catalog. Why is it so fast? Is there a copy of the catalog stored on the tape or is the whole tape scanned so fast?
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Catalogue is not about reading every single file. It reads the metadata only that’s why it’s faster than expected.
redhorse
Expert

Post by redhorse »

Thanks!