Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
Novox
Expert
Liked: 22 times

Restore: Tapes-needed List prior to Restore?

Post by Novox »

I've never run a restore from tape (I'm implementing Amazon Storage Gateway today). I've read Dustin Albertson's, "Veeam Backup & Replication using AWS VTL Gateway Deployment Guide." He explains HOW to retrieve tapes for backup, but in this scenario, my question is:

Will a tape restore job indicate a list of ALL tapes required for a restore up-front? Or will it ask for each tape as it needs it?

In the Amazon scenario, if I have archived my tapes, it would take 3-4 (or ~12 hours with "deep archive") to "retrieve" (and catalog) each tape.

If I know the list of all tapes needed up-front, I can retrieve all at once and wait a total of 3-4 or 12 hours.

If I don't know all tapes I need up front, the restore job could literally take 3-4 or 12 hours each time Veeam tells me it needs a different tape.

Thank you.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6724 times

Re: Restore: Tapes-needed List prior to Restore?

Post by Gostev »

I am pretty sure I saw it listing all required tapes in the job action log, but I will let the PM responsible for the tape integration functionality confirm that.
Regnor
VeeaMVP
Liked: 291 times
Full Name: Max

Post by Regnor » 1 person likes this post

Before the tape restore starts you'll receive a notice/warning which shows you a list of needed tapes; so you can import those tapes before starting the restore.

I'm just not sure why or when you'll have to catalog the tape; according to the guide:
Your tape will now be mounted to a drive and ready to perform a restore. (Note: You may need to catalog the tape.)
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. » 2 people like this post

Hi Novox,
Will a tape restore job indicate a list of ALL tapes required for a restore up-front? Or will it ask for each tape as it needs it?
Yes, you should see the list of missing (or offline) tapes required for restore operation via tape restore wizard prior starting the actual restore process. Once you get this prompt you can load AWS console and export these tapes back to the ground from the Amazon Shelf.

Novox
Expert
Liked: 22 times

Post by Novox »

Perfect, thank you Dima!