Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
sandrola
Influencer
Liked: 10 times
Full Name: Sandro Lanfranchi

Reverse Incremental > Copy Job > Tape Job

Post by sandrola »

I have following scenario:

1. Backup Job on Disk (extent V) with Reverse Incremental based on VmWare TAG
2. Backup copy job from the destination above, based on certain TAG, to another Disk (extent T) with restore Point to keep = 2
3. Tape Job with Source (extent T) and destination Tape Library with the option to only copy full (no synthetize to increment performance)

1. works perfectly
2. works perfectly and generate 1 Full and 1 Increment (the newest is always the increment)
3. works one time if the full is present the first time. After this I receive the message (No restore points found for date x/x/xxxx. Synthesized full backup was not created because the most recent restore point is a full backup.)

Actually the backup copy destination has for each server:
01.07.2018 Full
02.07.2018 Increment

on the Tape the last full is dated 30.06.2018!

Why the Tape Job cannot copy the created Full from the Backup copy Job?
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Re: Reverse Incremental > Copy Job > Tape Job

Post by Shestakov »

Hello Sandro,
If source of tape job is backup copy job, the tape job will try to create synthesized full. Once you disabled the option, no full backups are created.
Could you clarify what retention are you trying to reach on tapes? You may use backup job as a source of tape job or create GFS media pool.
Thanks!
sandrola
Influencer

Post by sandrola »

Hello Shestakov

many thanks for the rapid response. The copy on Tape is the "disaster recovery" copy if all the disk are not more usable. We want to have only one resp. two last copy on tape. This is also to protect us from ramsomware.
I have the same result (no full are copied) with the repository and with the Copy-Job as source.
My goal was to copy everyday the created Full (from the copy job) to the tape without modification. If I activate the Incremental Backup in Tape Job I have a speed of 50-60 MB/sec (LTO 7). Only by coping is 300 MS/sec.

Is there a way to achieve my goal?
sandrola
Influencer

Post by sandrola »

Or is a Tape File Copy job the right for me? Is there possibl eto only copy Fulls and not Increments?
sandrola
Influencer

Post by sandrola »

When I add the option "Archive incremental backups to tape" in the Tape Job, the new Full Backup form the Backup-Copy repository (T) are copied to tape. Strange :-)
I have only the lest Issue: The LTO 7 drives (connected over FC) reach only a 55 MB/sec Speed. It should be 300 MB/sec. or I'm wrong?
Shestakov
Veteran

Post by Shestakov »

If you want to have 2 last full backups on tapes and to copy only full backups I would suggest to choose backup job (or extent V) as a source of tape job.
Since it creates new full backup every day, you will copy the full backups to tape.
File to tape is also an option, but less convenient.
sandrola
Influencer

Post by sandrola »

My problem is that due to the Tag/Job logic not all Full Backup on the repository (V) must be copied to the Tape. For this reason the intermediate Disk (T) to prepare the Files that must be copied.
Another reason for thi sis that the Disk (T) and the Tape are on the same Proxy Server (Physical). So the Idea was to speed up the Tape job. This is actually not the case due to the poor performance of the job (4 x 55 MB/sec = 220 MB/sec).
Do you have experience with the tipical speed of veeam riting to LTO 7 Drives?
Shestakov
Veteran

Post by Shestakov »

If you want to copy not all, but just some full backups, I would suggest to go for GFS Media Pool. With it you can copy backups weekly/monthly.
Not sure about exact numbers, but I've seen customers on this forum reporting faster performance.