Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
WinstonWolf
Veteran
Liked: 11 times

Tips for a backup to tape concept

Post by WinstonWolf » 1 person likes this post

Hello ,

I search good Ideas or Tipps for an useful Backup Concept for an Daily, Weekly and Monthly Backup To Tap witch B&R V9 .

Here is my Backup Environment :

I have 5 VM Backup to Disk ( FAS2554 , ISCSI LUNs ) Jobs .
The First job is the Fileserver Job 30 Days Retention Time, Forward Incremental Forever ( vbk File with 6.5 TB , vibs between 11 GB and 130GB )
The Second Job is the Application Server Job , 30 Days Retention Time, Forward Incremental Forever ( vbk File with 1.3 TB , vibs between 11 GB and 60 GB )
The thirt Job is the Exchange - SQL Job , 30 Days Retention Time, Forward Incremental Forever ( vbk File with 980 GB , vibs between 12 GB and 130GB )
The fourth Job is the Linux-W2003 Job , 30 Days Retention Time, Forward Incremental Forever ( vbk File with 1.3 TB , vibs between 11 GB and 50GB )

The fifth Job is an Endpoint Backup Job from an other physical Server who Backups in the Repository of the B&R 9 Server 30 Days Retention Time, Forward Incremental Forever ( vbk File with 5.7 TB , vibs with 220 MB )

Our Tape Libary is an HP MSL4048 with 2 LTO5 Ultrium Drives .

This Jobs should now Backup to Tape so that we have an Daily Backup to Tape for the 4 VM Backup Jobs , after a week a new Mediaset should be created.
At the end of the Week we want an Tape Media Set with the last 7 Days with vib Files and one ( virtual Full vbk ) .
This Mediasets we want to use for the 4 Weeks of the Month should circulate.

Aditionally we want one Time per Week , perhaps on Friday a Backup to Tape Job for the Endpoint Backup Repository , the fifth Backup Job .

One Time per Month , maybe the last Saturday we need an Montly backup to Tape for the 4 VM Backup Jobs , but only the last ( actual ) vbk File .

One Time per Month we need an Backup to Tape from the Endpoint Backup Repository which runs weekly on Friday .

So, this it what we wants . Any Ideas how we can realize this ?

Thanks
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Tips for a backup to tape concept

Post by Dima P. »

Hi,

I hope, I’ve answered in this thread and it makes sense. Please, let me know if you have any questions but let's keep single a thread instead of two. Additional thanks for the detailed explanation of your backup plan – sounds perfect.