Stopped by job?

Everything about backing up to tape

Re: Stopped by job?

Veeam Logoby Dima P. » Fri Dec 18, 2015 3:38 pm 1 person likes this post

Thanks. In the upcoming v9 version the retry logic and ‘wait for the linked backup job’ mechanism will be enhanced, so whenever the linked job is running tape job awaits (at checks another source in the list). Stay tuned for the release and I hope you will find the new behavior more convenient.
Dima P.
Veeam Software

Liked: 442 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Veeam Logoby mkreitzer » Fri Dec 18, 2015 10:52 pm

Thank you for the info! v9 seems to have a lot of capabilities I'm looking forward to. Another one that could help with this scenario would be parallel tape processing. However, based on various forum posts and the blogs entries I'm concerned that v9's parallel tape processing might not solve one corner case I have to deal with. For example, one VM I have to back up contains around 20TB of compressed data. We take daily incrementals, and I need to push the entire thing to tape once a month. The backup files are even larger than the VM, and pushing that much through a single tape drive takes quite some time. Can parallel processing work with a single VM backup, or does it require multiple chains to work correctly?
mkreitzer
Novice

Liked: never
Full Name: Michael Kreitzer

Veeam Logoby Dima P. » Sat Dec 19, 2015 10:19 pm

I am sorry to say that but parallel processing will be possible ether between simulations tape jobs or between VM chains in one backup to tape jobs.
Dima P.
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby mkreitzer » Mon Dec 21, 2015 12:59 am

Crud. Two steps forward and one step back. Thanks for the clarification.
mkreitzer
Novice

Liked: never
Full Name: Michael Kreitzer

Veeam Logoby Dima P. » Mon Dec 21, 2015 12:40 pm

Two steps forward and one step back

We wanted to cover the case like yours but while designing the feature we came to the conclusion that spreading every single backup file between multiple media will make restore process a nightmare (imagine increment per tape situation) and cause a huge media overrun, thus we stick to the idea of keeping the backup chains within one media set.
Dima P.
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby mykl_74 » Tue Jun 14, 2016 7:57 pm

I'm having this problem as well. Had an idea... I have 2nd copy backups on-site. Is there any reason why I wouldn't want to use them as my backup source for the tape job? I can disable the 2nd copy jobs while the tape job is running, so the files do not change while the job is in progress.
mykl_74
Influencer

Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Mike Barnes

Veeam Logoby Dima P. » Tue Jun 14, 2016 11:09 pm

Mike,

Proper scheduling is a better solution. Just make sure tape and source jobs do not overlap (or use 'start after this job' scheduling option for backup tape).
Dima P.
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby mykl_74 » Fri Jun 24, 2016 7:24 pm

Hi Dima,
That is true, but like others have mentioned this is a huge amount of data. I cannot schedule it to not overlap with the daily jobs because it takes more than 2 days for my tape job to finish. So, my question is, is it technically OK to do it this way, since it is really my only option. I would rather take a backup to tape of the original files, but in my situation that is not possible.
mykl_74
Influencer

Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Mike Barnes

Veeam Logoby v.Eremin » Mon Jun 27, 2016 5:38 am

It's technically ok to stop source job for the duration of secondary one. Thanks.
v.Eremin
Veeam Software

Liked: 974 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Previous

Return to Tape