Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
Gipsy
Lurker
Liked: never

TAPE - Auto Eject from TAPE

Post by Gipsy »

Hello together,
i have a question about VEEAM and TAPES - it's my first time with VEEAM and TAPE.

I created a GFS media pool and the TAPE Backup is working very well (daily, weekly, monthly and yearly).
I activated the option "Eject media upon completion" and it's working fine too!

But!

Now I want to outsource the tapes (for example: in a vault).
How is that possible?

Can I automatically tell the job (weekly, monthly and yearly) that it should complete eject the TAPES automatically?
If yes how?

If it does not work automatically, how about the right way?

The problem is that the TAPE is in a different location and I do not want to give the local person any admin rights in the VEEAM console. (maybe Enterprise Web Console)

Regards
Gipsy
Egor Yakovlev
Veeam Software
Liked: 680 times
Full Name: Egor Yakovlev

Re: TAPE - Auto Eject from TAPE

Post by Egor Yakovlev »

Greetings Gipsy.

Vault = logical container for tapes that are going outside your library for archival. Vaults can be controlled manually (you move tapes to the vault in Veeam console when you give tapes to offsite admin) or automatically - once GFS job ejects a tape and you give it away, Veeam will automatically move said tape to the respectful Vault.

Please check Automatic Vaulting Settings for GFS job.

Hope that helps!
Gipsy
Lurker
Liked: never

Post by Gipsy »

Hello Egor,
fine - that's very good and i searched for this feature :-)

More questions:

We have a Dell/EMC ML3 Tape Library.

1. Do you know if we have the possibility for labeling the TAPES via VEEAM or directly in the Library?

2. If the tape backup was successfull, the TAPE(s) will move to the Vault and it's offline.
Do you know how can i detect which slot the tape is located? If the tape is offline i can't see the location.
If the TAPE is online i can see the slot location.

Currently without the labeling it's very hard to identify.

3. If I remove the tape and reload it, will the tape be recognized again (with the same name and so one, that the tape is assigned to the jobs (monthly, yearly, weekly)?

Regards
Alex
Egor Yakovlev
Veeam Software
Liked: 680 times
Full Name: Egor Yakovlev

Post by Egor Yakovlev »

Check your tape cartridges. Do they have barcodes on them?
1. Cartridge has no barcode on it: you can print custom barcodes yourself(check online how to), or have it empty(most tape vendors will not like it, sometimes its mandatory!). If its empty, Veeam will name your detected tapes automatically in our system(Tape01, Tape02 so on...). Of course you need to track such tapes physical labeling yourself(with a pen or something). When restore is initiated, and tape is offline, Veeam will tell you: "Please bring back Tape06" - and its your responsibility to find it in archives.
2. Cartridge does have a barcode(factory one, or your printed) - in this case your library should provide Veeam with correct tape names from your barcodes - like tape VEE024RU, VEE025RU...Once again, if tape is offline, Veeam will ask you to bring cartridge VEE025RU back home to restore(which will be much easier to seach due to present barcode, right?)
Of course, if you bring old tape used by Veeam before back home, we will detect it.

You can have full read on Veeam tape naming here.

Cheers!