Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
stewsie
Expert
Liked: 20 times
Full Name: Paul

Tape backup job using 2 tape libraries

Post by stewsie »

We have recently purchased two HP tape libraries each with two tape drives for use with Veeam B&R. The libraries are connected to a physical Windows server.

I have created a couple of simple media pools for testing and a new one that will be used going forward in production. All media pools are configured with both libraries and configured to fail over with all options selected.

When I run more than two jobs only one library is used. I have logged a support call as I am sure that when one of the pools was created I was able to run all four jobs at the same time. I have been told by support that this isn't possible. I thought that was only the case if the pools were configured as GFS

Anyone managing to use multiple drives in more than one library and parallel processing? If I have to manage separate media pools configured to a specific library that will not be very efficient.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: Tape backup job using 2 tape libraries

Post by veremin »

Can you clarify the underlying idea? Are you trying to occupy all drives available within tape backup activities? If so, why not to create one global media pool spanning across two libraries and set 4 as number of drives available? Thanks.
lyapkost
Expert
Liked: 48 times
Full Name: Konstantin

Post by lyapkost »

Hi Paul. The described behavior is correct. In the current realization of paralleling and failover features we don't have paralleling between libraries in the same media pool. The request makes sense and the feature might be implemented in one of our future releases, I can't give any estimates though.
stewsie
Expert

Post by stewsie »

v.Eremin wrote:Can you clarify the underlying idea? Are you trying to occupy all drives available within tape backup activities? If so, why not to create one global media pool spanning across two libraries and set 4 as number of drives available? Thanks.
This is exactly what I have done. I have one media pool configured to use both tape libraries and all 4 drives. The media pool is configured to switch to the next tape library on the following events:

No media available
All tape drives are busy

Enable parallel processing for tape jobs using this media pool is selected and 4 tape drives selected
stewsie
Expert

Post by stewsie »

lyapkost wrote:Hi Paul. The described behavior is correct. In the current realization of paralleling and failover features we don't have paralleling between libraries in the same media pool. The request makes sense and the feature might be implemented in one of our future releases, I can't give any estimates though.
I am very surprised this isn't available now. I have been able to run 4 jobs at the same time but it is inconsistent and sometimes works and sometimes doesn't. I don't really want to have to have two media pools using one tape library each as that is more overhead managing the jobs

Thanks
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Hi Paul,

The described behavior is considered to be incorrect and we plan to fix it on one of the upcoming releases. Meanwhile please use the multiple media pools workaround.
stewsie
Expert

Post by stewsie »

Not ideal but I need to be able to use all drives constently, so as advised I will configure a media pool per library. Hope this feature is available in a future release.

Thanks