Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
params
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Param Singh

Tape Backup Questions

Post by params »

Hi. I currently install a Overland NeoS T24 tape appliance to my environment. I already have a disk backup configured via Veeam which I've been using for the past 1.5 years.
All my virtual servers are backed up to disk via Veeam through various schedules depending on their importance. For example, the file server is backed up daily with 60 restore points.

My dilemma is regarding scheduling backups to tape or more specifically, if I should do it daily, weekly or monthly. I would like to utilize Tape backup primarily for archival purposes which is why, at the moment, I am thinking of doing only monthly backups with a 1 year retention. I was hoping to get some insight into which route to take or if anyone is doing the same type of tape backup in which it is only done monthly.

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: Tape Backup Questions

Post by veremin »

You can add media pool with one year overwrite retention period, create a tape job, let it copy .vbks, .vibs or both, specify monthly schedule for it, and then you're good to go. Thanks.
params
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Param Singh

Post by params »

Thanks for your response v.Eremin.
I was actually hoping to get some insight on if a monthly tape backup schedule should be sufficient with a 1 year retention or if a weekly schedule should be considered?
Just trying to figure out what everyone who is currently doing tape backup has implemented in their backup strategy.

Thank you again.
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Post by Shestakov »

Hello Param,

Usually users have several current daily backups on the primary disk storage, and keep weekly/monthly/yearly backups on tapes.
In your case you can create one more media pool for a new backup to tape job, set to run weekly with retention = 4 restore points. And another media pool for yearly jobs. It all depends on your needs and capabilities.

Thanks.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

I was actually hoping to get some insight on if a monthly tape backup schedule should be sufficient with a 1 year retention or if a weekly schedule should be considered?
It depends on your own needs. While trying to define those, just think what scenario would be applicable in case when primary repository goes down. With weekly schedule in worst case you'd loose one week of data, with monthly - one month. Thanks.