Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
E.V.
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Edouard Vaughan

Re: Tape Jobs Schedule enhancements

Post by E.V. »

Plus one for this feature
Lian
Novice
Full Name: Administrateur TMF

Post by Lian »

Look,
I do not think that the absence of demands "on this thread" and "this forum" makes it any easier for ppl that for years were used to the features long impemented in known backup software like Backupexec, to accept that ..there is a PS workaround.

As if you are wounded and need stiches to heal properly the doctor would advise you to just put bandaids every day.

I read the thread and the named PS scripts , initially made for 8 version , would have not worked for 9. Nothing says it would work for next issue.
A calendar it is a known feature for the backup community, not a luxury. Thank you.

There are reasons that ppl change the software and the trend that Veeam enjoyed could very easily reverse course.
BMCUK
Lurker
Full Name: Simon Broekhuis

Post by BMCUK »

This feature has been discussed in 2013, 6 years later that the feature to pause backups during the holiday season is still not available for tapes and its 2019 now. :cry:
DGrinev
Veteran
Liked: 247 times
Full Name: Dmitry Grinev

Post by DGrinev »

Hey Simon and welcome to the community!

You can see the demand wasn't that high.
We listen carefully to the needs of our customers, but you should understand we have hundreds of requests with a higher demand for implement\develop.

Still, we will keep track of this request, thank you for your vote.

Thanks!
Blue407
Enthusiast
Liked: 13 times
Full Name: Paul Thomas

Post by Blue407 »

I agree its something that should be natively available.

All competing products I have used, have it built in.

Unless you are using autoloaders, any Bank Holidays would require you to stop the tape job from running.
I automaticaly eject the tape after the last successful job, therefore it won't be overwritten, but it seems nonsensical for the job to keep retrying on days when nobody is in to physicaly change the tape. (Which is the only true air-gapped backup)
pshute
Veteran
Liked: 14 times
Full Name: Peter Shute

Post by pshute »

I have configured our tape job to eject the tape once complete (standalone drive, not sure what you'd do if you have an autoloader). The tape job tries to run over the Christmas break, but sits there waiting for the tape instead of overwriting. The first day back at work, I cancel the job.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Peter,

If tape job runs our of free space it will sit in waiting for tape state for 72 hours but you can adjust this time out via special registry key. Cheers!
agrob
Veteran
Liked: 48 times
Full Name: Andre

Post by agrob »

i know this is an older post, but a schedule exclusion would be very helpfull. so i would vote for this enhancement as well. Powershell script to schedule is not convenient.

We have some branch offices with single tape onsite. during holidays, we need to disable the schedule for the tape job because no one is replacing the tape.
In my Opinion, this is a basic feature every enterprise backup software should have (even 15 years old legacy backup applications can do this) ;-)
It would also be helpful for backup or copy job to have an schedule exclusion. at the moment, we need to disable / enable the job, not convenient.

But apart from that, keep up the great work :)
Egor Yakovlev
Veeam Software
Liked: 680 times
Full Name: Egor Yakovlev

Post by Egor Yakovlev »

Hi Andre!

1. Backup to Tape job schedule has "on these days" option, allowing you to exclude weekends.

2. Similar, Backup Copy Job's Schedule tab allows you to evict weekends from allowed sync time.

/Cheers!
agrob
Veteran
Liked: 48 times
Full Name: Andre

Post by agrob »

Hello Egor

Thanks, I'm aware of that. But this is not the option i need. I need to exclude a specific Date, for example exclude 24.12.2021 from backup. The option you mentoined does exclude a day or time "permantent". I just want to exclude several specific Days during the year.

Best Regards
Egor Yakovlev
Veeam Software
Liked: 680 times
Full Name: Egor Yakovlev

Post by Egor Yakovlev »

Alright,
in this case powershell is the best automated option to force jobs schedule change.
Noted your +1 to to the feature request!

/Thanks!