Discussions specific to tape backups
Lesslhumer
Veeam Software
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Andreas Lesslhumer

Re: tape clone possible?

Post by Lesslhumer » Mar 22, 2019 8:40 am

+1 for the feature request to migrate data from older tape generations to a newer one.

The workaround "Restore to a temporary repository -> file to tape job" is possible but not comfortable as we then handle the VM backups as files.

asc4
Novice
Liked: 1 time

Post by asc4 » Mar 27, 2019 2:01 pm

Hi, just an other vote for tape copy functionality. Beside storing 2 identical copies of backup data in different locations and migrating to newer tape technology we have the policy on our IBM i and on Solaris to copy 12 years long term end of year backups after 6 years to be sure the content remains readable.
A remark to the workaround of restoring and re-saving to copy: We had big discussions with our auditors on that topic, regarding the fact, that you might alter data before re-saving.
Regards Axel

Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 771 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. » Mar 27, 2019 7:42 pm

A remark to the workaround of restoring and re-saving to copy: We had big discussions with our auditors on that topic, regarding the fact, that you might alter data before re-saving.
So in your case it's required to copy data from one tape to another on a binary level to ensure that content was not modified? Thanks!

SysSadMan
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Mike B

Post by SysSadMan » Apr 15, 2019 3:37 pm

+1 for the feature request

I too would like to see the tape close feature, I need to clone several tapes and hate the fact that I have to restore to a drive than create a new to tape job.

roger.hunter
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Roger Hunter

Re: [MERGED] Veeam B&R feature request tape to tape copying

Post by roger.hunter » Apr 15, 2019 5:59 pm

mrushforth wrote:
Oct 20, 2017 12:21 pm
I am wanting a feature adding to Veeam Backup and Replication. I would like to be able to copy 1 tape to another tape but according to Veeam Support that isn't available. They told me to open a feature request on here. Does anyone else want this feature. Thanks
I definitely want (and need) to have this capability.