Using tape as a backup target
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1031 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: tape clone possible?

Post by Dima P. »

A remark to the workaround of restoring and re-saving to copy: We had big discussions with our auditors on that topic, regarding the fact, that you might alter data before re-saving.
So in your case it's required to copy data from one tape to another on a binary level to ensure that content was not modified? Thanks!

SysSadMan
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Mike B

Post by SysSadMan »

+1 for the feature request

I too would like to see the tape close feature, I need to clone several tapes and hate the fact that I have to restore to a drive than create a new to tape job.

roger.hunter
Lurker
Full Name: Roger Hunter

Re: [MERGED] Veeam B&R feature request tape to tape copying

Post by roger.hunter »

mrushforth wrote: Oct 20, 2017 12:21 pm I am wanting a feature adding to Veeam Backup and Replication. I would like to be able to copy 1 tape to another tape but according to Veeam Support that isn't available. They told me to open a feature request on here. Does anyone else want this feature. Thanks
I definitely want (and need) to have this capability.

asc4
Novice
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Axel Schindler

Post by asc4 »

Dima P. wrote: Mar 27, 2019 7:42 pm So in your case it's required to copy data from one tape to another on a binary level to ensure that content was not modified? Thanks!
Hi Dima,
yes, that is the requirement and that is the way we were usesd from our IBM i (aka OS/400) systems.

The tape copy should retrieve the data stream from the tape driver while reading the old tape and forward it without modification to the tape driver writing the new tape. So operations done by the drive itself (compact, encryption) might alter the bits on the tape itself, but from view of a plain tape dump data should be identical.

Regards Axel

lalaith75
Lurker
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Maike Laue

Post by lalaith75 »

+1 for Tape2Tape Clone from me, too.

gudmundo
Novice

Post by gudmundo »

+1 for Tape2Tape Clone

thomas.biesmans
Influencer
Liked: 10 times

Post by thomas.biesmans »

+1 for Tape2Tape Clone ;)

Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Hello folks,

Mind me asking to share your personal use case which can be addressed with tape copy functionality. We are eager to hear how you plan to use such functionality:

- As a one-time migration to move data from old generation tapes. With this scenario please share if you want to keep old media or it should be removed from Veeam B&R catalog immediately? What export options you would expect from such operation (i.e. export everything when the copy operation is completed / export only old tapes)
- To create a secondary tape during backup process. If you are interested in such option - should the secondary tape be recorded together with the primary or you see it as the post backup process (similar to backup copy)

Thanks for your input!

roshan.saldanha
Lurker
Full Name: Roshan Saldanha

Post by roshan.saldanha »

Dear Veeam Product Manager,
Tape to tape copy is essential feature of an "large enterprise backup application", where there are compliance requirements of keeping 2 offsite copies for banking/financial sectors specially.
We as a "Hosting Service provider", currently have a challenge with Veeam with similar requirement, and surprised to see this was requested by many members since 2017, but was not taken seriously.
Right now we are using Commvault for this requirement. Hope Veeam development team will address this "feature request" soon.
Best regards,
Roshan Saldanha

Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Hello and welcome to the community Roshan.

We treat this feature as very demanded and are in research state. Thanks for your honest feedback!

rayc@567.net.au
Novice
Full Name: Ray Cockshell

Post by rayc@567.net.au »

Here's another vote for Tape Cloning. Required here for business governance reasons in a M&A process.

Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Hello Ray,

Thanks for the feedback! Mind me asking, if you need to create a secondary tape copy right after the primary tape job, or it would be a one-time operation for all your tapes? Cheers!

soncscy
Expert
Liked: 81 times
Full Name: Harvey Carel

Post by soncscy »

Just some feedback from clients I have that are heavily invested in tape:

They want to be able to feed smaller, older generation tapes into newer generation tapes in parallel. That is, think like migrating a bunch of old LTO4 tapes into a single LTO8 tape, and they'd really like it to be fast :)

I hope Veeam can deliver a vision like this :D

Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Thanks for the feedback Harvey! It is planned for next major version.

vmtech123
Enthusiast
Liked: 13 times
Full Name: SP

Post by vmtech123 »

Thanks for the update. This is going to be a huge help going forward with the extreme retention I require. Data keeps grown but I can not delete it. Eventually I get stuck with tapes 3 or 4 generations old when I upgrade and have to restore / backup in chunks as I don't have that much storage to stage it all and it is time consuming and tedious.

I hope that you have the ability to copy directly from tape to tape, or at least can control how much is staged on disk. if we assume I have a library with 8 LTO6 or LTO7 drives being replaced with an 8 drive LTO9 or LTO10, I would want to read from all 8 drives at once on the older unit. I would prefer not to end up with 50TB staged on my SAN before flushing it to tape or having the ability to limit it to a specific amount if at all possible.

Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. » 1 person likes this post

Hello Scott,

Our plan is to stream data from one drive to another, so tape copy operation wont require disk capacity. Cheers!

vmtech123
Enthusiast
Liked: 13 times
Full Name: SP

Post by vmtech123 »

Even better!!!

skrause
Expert
Liked: 95 times
Full Name: Steve Krause

Post by skrause »

Will we be able to concatenate multiple tapes together onto one newer, higher capacity tape?

Example: we just switched from LTO5 to LTO7 and having the ability to put the contents of two LTO5 Tapes onto one LTO7 would be nice.
Steve Krause
Veeam Certified Architect

Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Yup, that's planned.