tape clone possible?

Discussions specific to tape backups

tape clone possible?

Veeam Logoby gustavouehara » Thu Jun 29, 2017 3:13 pm

In my backup structure once a month , the last full of the month it's coppied to tape "backup to tape".
because of legal compliances , I need two copies of this tapes and one copy with long retention.
Veeam support a cloning tape function?

thank you
gustavouehara
Novice

Liked: never
Full Name: gustavo uehara

Re: tape clone possible?

Veeam Logoby v.Eremin » Fri Jun 30, 2017 8:07 am

Nope, we don't support that. Thinking about your scenario, have you thought about having two backup to tape jobs: regular (short-term retention) and GFS (long-term retention) ones?
v.Eremin
Veeam Software

Liked: 1037 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Veeam Logoby gustavouehara » Mon Jul 03, 2017 7:57 pm

v. Eremin thank you for your support
maybe in next release Veeam support it
gustavouehara
Novice

Full Name: gustavo uehara

Veeam Logoby v.Eremin » Tue Jul 04, 2017 11:45 am

Just to set proper expectations. So far we have not received a lot requests to justify the development efforts. So I'd not expect to see this feature in the foreseeable future. Thanks.
v.Eremin
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby skrause » Wed Jul 05, 2017 1:14 pm

v.Eremin wrote:Nope, we don't support that. Thinking about your scenario, have you thought about having two backup to tape jobs: regular (short-term retention) and GFS (long-term retention) ones?

While that works for getting the data onto two different tapes for a DR scenario, because it uses two jobs the file names/timestamps on the tapes will be different. I know that in some compliance situations, that won't fly because the data has to be exact copies. Thus why cloning (or some form of being able to send the same backup file to two tapes within the same job) might be a necessary feature for some.
Steve Krause
Veeam Certified Architect
skrause
Expert

Liked: 45 times
Full Name: Steve Krause

Veeam Logoby pkelly_sts » Wed Jul 12, 2017 1:58 pm

I haven't tried it myself but I'd have thought if you have two tape jobs both configured with the same source backup job, providing you complete the second copy to tape before the source backup (to disk) job starts its next pass, then the only thing copied to tape would be the most recent version which would be identical?
[New Sig: PLEASE get GFS tape support for incrementals!!!]
pkelly_sts
Expert

Liked: 55 times
Full Name: Paul Kelly

Veeam Logoby v.Eremin » Wed Jul 12, 2017 2:45 pm

Correct.
v.Eremin
Veeam Software

[MERGED] Veeam B&R feature request tape to tape copying

Veeam Logoby mrushforth » Fri Oct 20, 2017 12:21 pm

I am wanting a feature adding to Veeam Backup and Replication. I would like to be able to copy 1 tape to another tape but according to Veeam Support that isn't available. They told me to open a feature request on here. Does anyone else want this feature. Thanks
mrushforth
Lurker

Full Name: Mark Rushforth

Re: Veeam B&R feature request tape to tape copying

Veeam Logoby Didi7 » Fri Oct 20, 2017 1:53 pm

Yes, would be a nice feature. If I am not mistaken, this already has been requested several times.

Regards,
Didi7
Using Veeam Backup & Replication 9.5 Update 2 on every backup server here!
Didi7
Expert

Liked: 17 times

Veeam Logoby sbk » Sat Oct 28, 2017 11:13 am

I would like to see this feature as well. It's common to want another copy of a tape.. Legal holds, redundancy, multiple DR locations, etc.
sbk
Novice

Full Name: Shawn Krawczyk

Veeam Logoby larry » Tue Oct 31, 2017 2:32 pm

I work for a bank and need to keep a second tape at times this is what I do.
I use USB3 drives (16tb - $899) to temporary store tape jobs before sending to tape. This allows me to create two tapes or redo a tape job in the morning. By storing tape data on the USB drive I get all the features and retention, that normal backup to disk has, then I copy files to tape with Veeam. The two jobs run faster than just sending to tape, LTO 7 runs at the 300mps this way as it should. I also keep 31 days of changes on each tape as well. With the drives I also have 7tb of space to restore a whole tape if needed. If a Veeam server fails, I can just move the USB to another Veeam server and import the backups in 10 seconds. I used USB cards into the rack Veeam servers and have a shelf of USB drives, the drives are Seagate 2big – 16tb. Can use as 16tb or 8tb-mirror
larry
Expert

Liked: 90 times
Full Name: Larry Walker

Return to Tape