Tape Drives duplicates after Tape change

Everything about backing up to tape

Re: Tape Drives duplicates after Tape change

Veeam Logoby hgrams » Tue Sep 01, 2015 5:34 pm 1 person likes this post

The problem has been resolved by Veeam support. Here the solution and Veeam statement:

Now you need to do the following:

1. Right-click your ONLINE drive - Inventory. You will see no errors and it means the drive is working OK.
2. Create new media pool(s) on the ONLINE drive for your backup job.
3. Edit all your tape jobs to be addressed to the new pool(s) (on the "Media Pool" tab) 4. Then, when ALL the jobs are re-addressed (please check twice) you can delete the old drive.

It was confirmed officially by our R&D team that such behavior (two drives after replacing) is expected and changing database to delete the old one is strictly forbidden. The steps above is the only correct way.
hgrams
Service Provider

Liked: 5 times
Full Name: Harald Grams

Veeam Logoby v.Eremin » Wed Sep 02, 2015 9:08 am

Thank you for taking time and updating the topic with the solution proposed by support engineer.

According to the plan, version 9 should address this problem, so that you don't have to deal with workarounds any longer.

Thanks.
v.Eremin
Veeam Software

Liked: 974 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Veeam Logoby pshute » Wed Mar 16, 2016 9:25 pm

I've got the same problem, even after installing v9. I assume the duplicated drives were added over the last few weeks while we were still running v8 (which I installed a couple of days ago). I tried right clicking on the drive and running an inventory, but they're still there. All three of them list a different loaded media, and all say the state is "Loaded".
pshute
Expert

Liked: 8 times
Full Name: Peter Shute

Veeam Logoby pshute » Wed Mar 16, 2016 9:40 pm

pshute wrote:I've got the same problem, even after installing v9. I assume the duplicated drives were added over the last few weeks while we were still running v8 (which I installed a couple of days ago). I tried right clicking on the drive and running an inventory, but they're still there. All three of them list a different loaded media, and all say the state is "Loaded".

It was showing three drives, with tapes "weekly 1", "weekly 2" and "weekly 3" loaded. There is really only one drive, and at the time it had tape "weekly 3 in it".

I right clicked on the first duplicate (showing "weekly 1" loaded"), and told it to eject. Then I ran another inventory. The tape "weekly 3" ejected, and then it only showed one drive. But it said "weekly 2" was loaded (it was actually empty).

I reinserted "Weekly 3" and ran another inventory, and the display was now correct.

Then I manually ejected the tape and inserted "Weekly 4", and ran an inventory. Display is still correct.

Conclusion: The problem no longer occurs under v9, but this workaround is required to correct the display if it had already occurred under v8. Correct? Or would the problem have gone away by itself as I cycled through the tapes over the next month?
pshute
Expert

Liked: 8 times
Full Name: Peter Shute

Veeam Logoby Dima P. » Mon Mar 21, 2016 9:24 pm

Conclusion: The problem no longer occurs under v9, but this workaround is required to correct the display if it had already occurred under v8. Correct? Or would the problem have gone away by itself as I cycled through the tapes over the next month?

This problem should be resolved in v9 indeed since media pools are no longer tied to a specific library or drive, thus device could be deleted from the UI without any worries. However, if you still have the described behavior I suggest opening a support case and let the support team investigate the debug logs. Thanks.
Dima P.
Veeam Software

Liked: 442 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Veeam Logoby Stephan23 » Mon Apr 25, 2016 12:14 pm

not sure if i should post this here, but it might be related.

as stated the issue was resolved for me with version 9. however there is now a new issue. every time a tape gets changed it doesn't show up in the gui. the old tape, that was in there before is still shown as online. only after a tape job has run (and only if is has written data) the online state of the drives gets correct.

i just created a new case: 01776483
Stephan23
Influencer

Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Stephan

Previous

Return to Tape