Tape Drives duplicates after Tape change

Everything about backing up to tape

Tape Drives duplicates after Tape change

Veeam Logoby Stephan23 » Fri Aug 14, 2015 1:12 pm

Hello everyone,

I noticed a strange behavior since an upgrade to Veeam 8.

There is one backup server with a local repository and an integrated tape drive, which can hold only one tape. The tape job runs every night and has a single Media Pool as a target with all available tapes. Every Morning the tape gets changed to the next one in the rotation.

The problem is, that after the tape change, the drive gets duplicated in the "Tape Infrastructure" view, both of them with the same Drive ID, both show tape media as online (the tape that got changed and the new one). The next day it duplicates again and shows 3 tape drive with 3 different tapes, once I saw up to 5 drives. Sometimes those "fake" drives vanishes without any input in no specific order. Sometimes one "fake" drive shows me tapeX, but when I wait a minute or so it changes to tapeY, if I click somewhere else in the navigation and then back to the online tapes it's tapeX again.

I created a support case about that and was told, that the tape needs to be ejected manually in the Veeam console before changing it. The problem is, that nobody at the site of the backup server has access to Veeam. I am just monitoring and operating Veeam. I am also not very satisfied with the statement of the support. They made is sound like it's an expected behavior, for me it looks more like a GUI bug, because of its randomness.

This happens since a week or two after the upgrade from 7 to 8, never noticed it before. I didn't found anything in the documentation or the knowledge base about that, maybe it's not that expected and someone can tell how to fix it, maybe the database is a bit messed up.

The support case ID is 00974090

Thank you,
Stephan
Stephan23
Influencer

Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Stephan

Re: Tape Drives duplicates after Tape change

Veeam Logoby v.Eremin » Fri Aug 14, 2015 3:08 pm

Do you mind answering several questions? Tape job is configured to export media once the job finishes, isn't it? Duplicated entity shows each time a medium is ejected and new one is inserted, right?
v.Eremin
Veeam Software

Liked: 968 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Veeam Logoby Dima P. » Fri Aug 14, 2015 4:10 pm

Hi Stephan,
Unfortunately, can’t read your case details - it’s in German. I have one question in addition: can you elaborate if the latest update 2 was installed after upgrading to v8? Thanks.
Dima P.
Veeam Software

Liked: 440 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Veeam Logoby Stephan23 » Mon Aug 17, 2015 8:02 am

v.Eremin wrote:Do you mind answering several questions?

of course not.
v.Eremin wrote:Tape job is configured to export media once the job finishes, isn't it?

no, both media automation options (eject media and export media set) are disabled
v.Eremin wrote:Duplicated entity shows each time a medium is ejected and new one is inserted, right?

ejected physically at the server, yes. no veeam actions involved.

Dima P. wrote:Unfortunately, can’t read your case details - it’s in German.

i knew i should have changes the preferred language ;)
Dima P. wrote:I have one question in addition: can you elaborate if the latest update 2 was installed after upgrading to v8? Thanks.

yes, update 2b.
Stephan23
Influencer

Veeam Logoby Stephan23 » Mon Aug 17, 2015 11:49 am

am i missing the option to edit my post or is this not possible?

what if i just enable "eject media once the job finishes" ? i haven't done that, because i remember an issue that the tape got ejected before every backup was written to tape. but that applied to another infrastructure with a tape library and multiple tapes per media set.
Stephan23
Influencer

Veeam Logoby v.Eremin » Mon Aug 17, 2015 12:04 pm

It's a known issue with standalone drives that manually ejected tapes get duplicated. The issue is fixed in version 9, though.

And also should have a pretty simple workaround to let backup server eject tapes automatically, instead of ejecting them through drive's interface.

Thanks.
v.Eremin
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby Stephan23 » Mon Aug 17, 2015 1:32 pm

that's great news, thank you a lot.

i wonder why the support wasn't able to provide that information.
Stephan23
Influencer

Veeam Logoby v.Eremin » Mon Aug 17, 2015 2:33 pm

You're welcome. Let us know whether the proposed workaround fixes the problem for you. Thanks.
v.Eremin
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby Stephan23 » Tue Aug 18, 2015 8:42 am

v.Eremin wrote:You're welcome. Let us know whether the proposed workaround fixes the problem for you. Thanks.

The workaround works. But I am foreseeing a much bigger problem with it, so that I can't use it, at least with the current configuration.

There a multiple Backup Jobs, each one does a full backup once per week on alternating days of the week. That way I can spread out the space requirements across the week, because I can only work with one tape. The problem is, that sometimes the tape gets full and the job continues in the morning when someone changes the tape. With the eject option enabled, that would cause the tape to be ejected after the job finishes in the morning.
Stephan23
Influencer

Veeam Logoby v.Eremin » Tue Aug 18, 2015 8:58 am

And if I'm getting you right, the problem would be that a tape ejected on the morning could not be used then by a job starting at night?
v.Eremin
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby Stephan23 » Tue Aug 18, 2015 9:00 am

Right.

edit (hey, i can edit my post):
I guess I'll wait till Veeam 9 and live with the duplication, until now no tape job failed because of this issue.
Stephan23
Influencer

Veeam Logoby v.Eremin » Tue Aug 18, 2015 10:48 am

Do those duplicated drives have offline status? If so, you can probably write some simple PS script that would remove those entities from a backup console. If I'm not mistaken, the Remove-VBRTapeLibrary should accept drives, as well:

Code: Select all
$Drive = Get-VBRTapeDrive -name "Name of drive"
Remove-VBRTapeLibrary -Library $Drive

Be aware to test it first prior to implementing.

Thanks.
v.Eremin
Veeam Software

[MERGED] : Cannot delete tape object after drive exchange

Veeam Logoby hgrams » Thu Aug 27, 2015 9:17 am

Hi there,

Our single tape was exchanged by a new one via an external hardware provider. Now, Veeam shows both drives, the old one under Libraries and the new one as offline with all media pools assigned.
I cannot remove the old one and cannot assign the new one to the Libraries branch. I already rebooted the server and deactivate and activate the tape drive in Windows device manager.

What am I doing wrong? Or better what can I do to solve that?

Best Regards
Harald
hgrams
Service Provider

Liked: 5 times
Full Name: Harald Grams

Veeam Logoby v.Eremin » Thu Aug 27, 2015 10:45 am

Hi, Harald,

Does your issue look similar with the one discussed above? If so, try to remove stuck offline drives, using the referenced script, or ask support team for assistance.

Please, be aware that version 9 has this issue fixed.

Thanks.
v.Eremin
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby hgrams » Thu Aug 27, 2015 12:56 pm

It doesn't work. I opened a case # 01007067
hgrams
Service Provider

Liked: 5 times
Full Name: Harald Grams