Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
b.schuetz-IT
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Bernd Schütz

Tape Export after Tape-Job - Quantum

Post by b.schuetz-IT »

Hello Together,

we have a Quantum Superloader 3 tape changer in combination with VEEAM Backup and Replication V11 in use.

Unfortunately the function "Export Tape" is grayed out and not available. Also via the web interface of the tape changer moving the tapes to the mailslot is not possible.

Unfortunately, there is no solution via Quantum Support. Maybe there is an idea here that leads to a solution.

Many greetings
Bernd
soncscy
Veteran
Liked: 312 times
Full Name: Harvey

Re: Tape Export after Tape-Job - Quantum

Post by soncscy » 1 person likes this post

Hey Bernd

> Also via the web interface of the tape changer moving the tapes to the mailslot is not possible.

Sorry, but if it's not even possible there, I cannot see how an application outside of the tape firmware could do it.

I think you need to press harder on Quantum here and figure out why you can't move the tape to the mailslot.

My experience with Veeam and Tape is that if it works with the tape firmware, then probably it's a driver issue, and you just need to see what Windows sees. I think I recall a few client cases that Veeam's Support can give you some WMI commands to see what Windows sees.

But, if Windows can't see it and the tape firmware itself (WebUI) cannot move the tape to the mailslot, you really need to press on Quantum here.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Hello Bernd,

I'd check the drivers on the first place - that's how Operating System get's the information about your library capabilities. Then as Harvey mentioned I'd continue to work with Quantum support, as if functionality is not working via native tools the issue should with either hardware or device itself. Thanks!
RobTurk
Veeam Software
Liked: 65 times
Full Name: Rob Turk

Post by RobTurk »

Looking at the device specifications of the Quantum SL3, it appears that it physically does not have an access port to export tape from.
This model loader does not have any mailslots. Hence no way to move a tape to it.
RobTurk
Veeam Software
Liked: 65 times
Full Name: Rob Turk

Post by RobTurk » 1 person likes this post

Apologies, it seems I used the wrong manual. The SL3 does have a mailslot. However, it is not available to Veeam.
From the manual:
"Although the SuperLoader 3 does have a mailslot, it is not reported as an Import/Export element for use by the host system. It is strictly to allow users to access tape cartridges using the front panel or On-board Remote Management tool."