Full Name: Tom

Tape from StoreOnce - nothing visible in repo

Post by tom4784 »

Hi,

I'm trying to implement the exact scenario mentioned in this thread:

tape-f29/backups-created-by-backup-copy ... 68603.html

Which is this:
1. Backup to StoreOnce repository
2. Optimized StoreOnce copy of this repository to another StoreOnce on another site
3. Copy to Tape (second site) of optimized copy
...and I'm having the same issue - I can create the job fine, selecting 'Backup repository' as the source and selecting the StoreOnce repo in question. It say '0 bytes' in the size column which was an instant red flag, but when running the job it simply ignores the StoreOnce repo. The repo definitely has things in it which I can browse through using the Veeam console connected to the same Veeam server.

In that thread, it was noted this was an upcoming feature and that was a couple of years ago, I'm running the latest version of Veeam and it appears this hasn't yet been implemented? Could someone confirm?

Kind regards,

Tom

Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1326 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Tape from StoreOnce - nothing visible in repo

Post by Dima P. »

Hello Tom,

Thank you for your post, can you please raise a support case and share the case ID?

tom4784
Novice
Liked: 1 time

Post by tom4784 » 1 person likes this post

Hi,

Case raised, it's: 02739409

tom4784
Novice
Liked: 1 time

Post by tom4784 »

Support got back to me:

Even though the backup files are visible in the repo (within backup copy jobs in the console) because the original backup wasn't done on the Veeam server it will skip them - despite being visible and readable by the local Veeam server front end.

It was suggested that the backups are copied again to local storage to solve the problem - but this seems a really inefficient way of going about things and wastes (a lot) of space I don't have - I can't really think of another way around it though - has anyone done anything similar?

Seems odd that this has been done 'by design' ?

Thanks

Tom

Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1326 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

The logic sounds right - tape jobs process only the data created by the B&R server jobs and skip imported backups (which seems to be the root cause with your case). I wonder if it's possible to register tape device with your primary B&R server and add original backup copy jobs from the primary B&R site to the tape job on the same B&R server? Thanks!