Tape job and linked backup jobs

Everything about backing up to tape

Re: Tape job and linked backup jobs

Veeam Logoby v.Eremin » Thu Mar 05, 2015 3:01 pm

Hi, Steven, may I ask you to answer the question provided above? Is one of the source backup job using "after this" job schedule, meaning, source jobs are somehow linked?
v.Eremin
Veeam Software

Liked: 968 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Veeam Logoby namiko78 » Thu Mar 05, 2015 3:16 pm

In my case, i'm running it monthly on the 1'st wednesday. i'm also trying it daily. just got off the phone with support. He says it works for everyone else, he's going to look at logs.. case # if you're interested. 00823687
namiko78
Expert

Liked: 4 times
Full Name: Steven Stirling

Veeam Logoby v.Eremin » Thu Mar 05, 2015 3:58 pm

I could imagine that the issue might occur when multiple backup jobs are selected as a source for a backup to tape job and those jobs are running one by one, using chained schedule ("After this" job).

However, that doesn't appear to be the case in your situation. So, let's wait and see what support will find out after log review.

Thanks.
v.Eremin
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby PDL » Thu Mar 12, 2015 10:23 am

This is happening to me since I upgraded to Veeam 8. In Veeam 7 the 'If some linked backup jobs are still running, wait for up to:' used to actually cause the job to wait until all backup jobs have completed then start.

I can't use the option start 'After this job' as we are not running the backup to tape job every day whereas the main job is running daily.
PDL
Novice

Liked: never

Veeam Logoby bellsys » Thu Mar 12, 2015 4:39 pm

The same issue since upgrade to v8. In v7 was like this, here an example:
Backup job named "X" starting at 8:00 pm has completed within 1h or 1,5h. At 10:00 pm followed the backup job to tape named "Y". Its source was backup job X. In the case of adding a new vm to backup job X it finished after 10:00 pm usually 'cause entire new vm had to be written to the VBK-File (by the way --> reversed incremental). Beacause of usinig the option 'If some linked backup jobs are still running, wait for up to:' with 180 Minutes set the Y job started only after X was done. In v8 the Y-Job doesn't wait and starts by the schedule at 10:00 pm. The next day Veeam B&R shows "success" but in the action pane "0 of 0 files processed" and backup job to tape has to be restarted. That's stressful....sometimes :-)

I hope you find a sloution soon....Thanks!
bellsys
Lurker

Full Name: Dawid Paduch

Veeam Logoby v.Eremin » Mon Mar 16, 2015 12:17 pm

In Veeam 7 the 'If some linked backup jobs are still running, wait for up to:' used to actually cause the job to wait until all backup jobs have completed then start.

Can I ask whether or not those jobs are linked between each other? What I mean here is whether or not some of jobs use "After this job" type of schedule?

Backup job named "X" starting at 8:00 pm has completed within 1h or 1,5h. At 10:00 pm followed the backup job to tape named "Y". Its source was backup job X. In the case of adding a new vm to backup job X it finished after 10:00 pm usually 'cause entire new vm had to be written to the VBK-File (by the way --> reversed incremental). Beacause of usinig the option 'If some linked backup jobs are still running, wait for up to:' with 180 Minutes set the Y job started only after X was done. In v8 the Y-Job doesn't wait and starts by the schedule at 10:00 pm. The next day Veeam B&R shows "success" but in the action pane "0 of 0 files processed" and backup job to tape has to be restarted. That's stressful....sometimes :-)

Linked jobs option makes sense only when multiple jobs are selected as source for a backup to tape job, which doesn't seem to be the case in your situation. Either "as new backup file appears" or "after this job" looks like a better option.

Thanks.
v.Eremin
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby PDL » Mon Mar 16, 2015 1:44 pm

In Veeam 7 the 'If some linked backup jobs are still running, wait for up to:' used to actually cause the job to wait until all backup jobs have completed then start.

Can I ask whether or not those jobs are linked between each other? What I mean here is whether or not some of jobs use "After this job" type of schedule?

No backup jobs are linked. The last backup job of the 4 that run at various times during the night, now takes longer to run than it used to as there are now more VMs in the job so the hour i used to allow before starting the tape job is not enough. under Veeam 7 the tape job used to just wait for that last job to complete before starting. this is no longer the case in veeam 8. (To get around the problem I have changed the start time of the tape job to half an hour later gving me about 10 mins leeway.
PDL
Novice

Veeam Logoby v.Eremin » Mon Mar 16, 2015 1:47 pm

Got it. Then, can you open a ticket and provide its number here?
v.Eremin
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby PDL » Mon Mar 16, 2015 2:15 pm

v.Eremin wrote:Got it. Then, can you open a ticket and provide its number here?

Ticket #00832481
PDL
Novice

Veeam Logoby v.Eremin » Thu Mar 19, 2015 2:19 pm

According to the QA team, waiting timeout doesn't currently works as expected. When a tape job gets executed, it checks whether the first source job in the list is still running, and applies waiting timeout in case of positive answer. In other words, it cares only about first job, not paying attention to other ones.

The existing behaviour is planned to be revised in the next product version.

Thanks.
v.Eremin
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby PDL » Fri Apr 03, 2015 1:08 pm

Is that the next full version or a patch to version 8?
PDL
Novice

Veeam Logoby v.Eremin » Fri Apr 03, 2015 1:44 pm

Next full version
v.Eremin
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby Stephan23 » Wed Jun 03, 2015 8:44 am

i ran into the same problem after recently implemented veeam. it was impossible for me to interpret this option any differently than "wait until all backup jobs are done"
if the behavior of this option is by design, it' seams completely useless if there are more than one backup job as a source.

also: why there a limit of only 777 minutes?
Stephan23
Influencer

Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Stephan

Veeam Logoby Dima P. » Fri Jun 05, 2015 2:44 pm

Hello Stephan,
As it was stated above we are working on a resolution and it will be provided as soon as possible. As for the timer limit it looks like a UI glitch for me, will check with the DEVs. Thank you.
Dima P.
Veeam Software

Liked: 440 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Veeam Logoby PariPari » Wed Jun 24, 2015 7:01 am

One customer has a very straight forward environment, one B2D Job with rev incr + one linked Tape Job.
Does the problem v.Eremin describes also apply to this setup?
Like, the B2D job isn't really finished, tape job starts and aborts right away because the B2D is still "there" somehow?

//Edit
Also this behavior really shouldn't generate a "success" report...
PariPari
Service Provider

Liked: 6 times

PreviousNext

Return to Tape