Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
rpetrov1981
Influencer
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Roman Petrov

Tape jobs fail after switching to VBR 8

Post by rpetrov1981 »

Hi! When I had VBR 7 installed, I was able to perform tape backups with my IBM 3573 TL.
After switching to v8 I cannot do it anymore. During running of any job I am getting such a message "GetTapeHeader failed ChannelError: ConnectionReset"
I also cannot perform either Inventory Library or Catalog Library - they fail with the same error.
From the tape library's side I can perform tape inventory successfully and the library seems to work well. What I've done so far:
1. Restarting Veeam server
2. Restarting tape library
3. Disabling tape drives in Device Manager, removing media pools and all tape jobs, deleting the library itself. And it still doesn't work.
Any suggestions?
Case # 00680055
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2249 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: Tape jobs fail after switching to VBR 8

Post by veremin »

Just out of curiosity - have you tried to erase given mediums and start a tape job anew? Thanks.
rpetrov1981
Influencer

Post by rpetrov1981 »

v.Eremin wrote:Just out of curiosity - have you tried to erase given mediums and start a tape job anew? Thanks.
Quick erasing failed with the same error. Full erasing have started a half hour ago and still working
Thanks!
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

Let's see whether full erase will allow you to proceed any futher. Anyway, keep working with the support team on finding the root cause of that behaviour. Thanks.
hayesr1
Lurker
Full Name: Ryan Hayes

Post by hayesr1 »

Were you able to get this resolved? I'm running into the same issue and was going to open an incident as well.
rpetrov1981
Influencer

Post by rpetrov1981 »

hayesr1 wrote:Were you able to get this resolved? I'm running into the same issue and was going to open an incident as well.
Hi! Unfortunately my problem is still solving. I will update the post
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

Hi, Ryan,

Please, open your own ticket with our support team. Having as much information as possible will let us find the root cause faster.

Thanks.
hayesr1
Lurker
Full Name: Ryan Hayes

Post by hayesr1 » 1 person likes this post

I just opened an issue as well. My case number is 00682788
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1566 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Hello all,
QA and DEV teams found the root of this problem. Once the hotfix is ready – you get it ASAP. Thank you for your patience!
stuartmacgreen
Expert
Liked: 34 times
Full Name: Stuart Green

Post by stuartmacgreen »

Can anyone confirm what the root cause of this was?
I had an issue straight away also moving to Veeam 8 from 7. B2T jobs failed due to tape block size detected did not match drive default block size. I had to use mt.exe to set correct block size on media. Long and short erase does not change the tape block size that currently exists. I have had to set all my tape media block size for those that were not the default block size of my drives. Apparently there has been a change in Veeam 8 code which now does extra checking for this.
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Stuart,
Have you opened a support case? Can you provide the case ID to check the details of support team investigation? Thank you in advance.
stuartmacgreen
Expert

Post by stuartmacgreen »

Dmitry the SR is 00685458.

For reference the errors I was receiving was:

Failed to start new tape backup session: StartSessionTape failed
Failed to prepare to start new tape session: StartSessionTape failed
Failed to prepare to start new tape session: StartSessionTape failed StartSessionTape failed When accessing a new tape of a multivolume partition, the current block size is incorrect. Tape read error When accessing a new tape of a multivolume partition, the current block size is incorrect.
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Thank you!
I have had to set all my tape media block size for those that were not the default block size of my drives. Apparently there has been a change in Veeam 8 code which now does extra checking for this.
As far as I know, the block size auto detection mechanism was not changed since v7 and during read operations the existing block size on your media should be equal to the supported block size on you drive. Any chance you used media in the question with one drive and then loaded them into other drive?
stuartmacgreen
Expert

Post by stuartmacgreen »

I am using only a HP MSL G3 series (MSL8096) with 4 x 3280 Ultrium FC drives. So the drives are the same/same firmware. So when you say moved from drive to another there are a possible of 4 same drives for it to use.

Veeam 8 is setting the block size on tape media as displayed with this recent job error:
SetTapeMediaBlockSizeToDrive failed Failed to send command An established connection was aborted by the software in your host machine
MHoffmann
Novice
Liked: never

Post by MHoffmann »

Any news on this?
We have exactly the same problem with HP 1x8 Autoloader equipped with LOT4 drive - After upgrading V7 to V8 it broke down with the block size error on tape backups.
Unfortunately we are still in evaluation phase so calling support may not be an option. Hotfix welcome :-)

BTW: Where do i get the aforementioned mt.exe?
kroerig
Novice
Full Name: Klaus Rörig

[MERGED] Importing backup tapes.

Post by kroerig »

Hello!

Importing, inventorting and cataloging tapes results in the following error:

Code: Select all

01.12.2014 16:51:33          Processing started at Montag, 1. Dezember 2014 16:51:32
01.12.2014 16:51:36          Drive 256 (Drive ID: Tape1) locked successfully
01.12.2014 16:51:38 Error    Failed to inventory tape in Drive 256 (Drive ID: Tape1) Error: ChannelError: ConnectionReset
01.12.2014 16:51:38 Error    Completed with error at Montag, 1. Dezember 2014 16:51:38
I thinks it's the same as here: http://forums.veeam.com/tape-f29/tape-j ... 24174.html

CASE ID: 00691845

Klaus
stuartmacgreen
Expert

Post by stuartmacgreen »

mt.exe is here http://www.holistech.co.uk/sw/mt/mt.html

If you want to query the blocksize detected by the drive for your media in the drive
First move the tape into the drive. You can do this via a WEB UI your tape library might have.
Or Inventory the tape in Veeam.

You issue the command first command for each drive you have a tape you want to query. Then the second to get the block size of the media.

C:\> mt drivestatus tapeX
C:\> mt mediastatus tapeX

You can also get this info from Device Manager and Properties on the Tape Drive and from the tabs that are presented there you can see block size detected.

If you see a mismatch you can set the block size for the media using mt - of course be careful there is no data on that media you may want to restore from.

BTW: Short Erase and Long Erase do not change a block size for media in my drives.
rpetrov1981
Influencer

Post by rpetrov1981 »

Yesterday I received a new Tape Agent from VEEAM's support team. I just replaced my old agent with a new one and tape jobs run well, including inventory, recording and restoring from tapes. I suppose you guys should wait a bit.
MHoffmann
Novice

Post by MHoffmann »

Thanks for the link to mt.exe - unfortunately drive and both tapes of the session which is failing have identical blocksize of 131072.
I will try to use some new tapes see if that makes any difference for now.
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin » 1 person likes this post

Hi, Martin, even though you're on evaluation license, you can still open a ticket with our support team and get the updated agent, once your issue is confirmed to be the similar one. Thanks.
erchanchal
Lurker
Full Name: Chanchal Sharma

Post by erchanchal »

Is there any solution available for this?
We are facing the exact issue with IBM TS2900 and case is already opened(# 01752800) yet to get a solution
rreed
Veteran
Liked: 72 times

Post by rreed »

Walked into it here this morning as well, V9 w/ latest updates, etc.

"Failed to start new tape backup session: StartSessionTape failed
Failed to prepare to start new tape session: StartSessionTape failed
Failed to prepare to start new tape session: StartSessionTape failed StartSessionTape failed When accessing a new tape of a multivolume partition, the current block size is incorrect. Tape read error When accessing a new tape of a multivolume partition, the current block size is incorrect."

I tried doing a quick erase on the tapes in question but I think I saw somewhere in these merged threads it didn't help another user.
VMware 6
Veeam B&R v9
Dell DR4100's
EMC DD2200's
EMC DD620's
Dell TL2000 via PE430 (SAS)
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Hi rreed,

Can you double-check the tape library firmware is up to date?