Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
JonnoNZ
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Jonathan Geor

Tape jobs fail with "more than one password" error post V12 upgrade

Post by JonnoNZ »

Upgraded to V12 last week and Tape job fails on some but not all backup jobs. Originally failed on just a single backup tape sub job, then failed on most of them intermittently.
Error message is "Failed to initialize full backup map creation process. More than one password have been found for backup VMs"
Case 05924181 logged with support but they have been unable to determine cause.
Anyone else out there seeing same error?
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2294 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Re: Tape jobs fail with "more than one password" error post V12 upgrade

Post by Mildur »

Hi Jonathan

I found one other case with the same issues. But no solution yet in that case.
Currently the case is discussed internally between teams.

I suggest giving it another day and then escalate to support management.
https://www.veeam.com/kb2320

Best,
Fabian
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
Nodnarb
Service Provider
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Brandon

Post by Nodnarb »

Same issue for me after upgrading to v12. Any news on this? I'll also open a case.
JonnoNZ
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Jonathan Geor

Post by JonnoNZ »

I was in the middle of a re-design (which was why I had to upgrade to v12). I recreated all the backup jobs as part of this so issue went away. I gave up on Veeam support as no solution was offered after 2 weeks of waiting. Ended up using a file backup-to-tape of the repository files just to get by until the jobs were recreated.
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2294 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Post by Mildur »

Hi @Nodnarb

Can you please share the case number with me?

Best,
Fabian
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
david.domask
Veeam Software
Liked: 322 times

Post by david.domask »

JonnoNZ wrote: May 29, 2023 1:29 am I was in the middle of a re-design (which was why I had to upgrade to v12). I recreated all the backup jobs as part of this so issue went away. I gave up on Veeam support as no solution was offered after 2 weeks of waiting. Ended up using a file backup-to-tape of the repository files just to get by until the jobs were recreated.
Hi @JonnoNZ,

Thank you for reporting this, as the engineer made a mistake in the Case Handling process, and the case was processed by our CRM incorrectly here due to their mistake. This is not the expected outcome or action on such a case, and based on the description here, it's unfortunate as the situation seems like we may have a solution (but as I can't see the logs on the case, I cannot confirm it right now).

If anyone else in the thread is experiencing the issue, please do open a support case if you don't already, and please mention this post; it's possible that this is the same issue as in case 06067002 and we have some internal guidance on the matter, but keep in mind that I'm guessing on the cause, so it may be something else.

I will check the cases listed in this thread and if it matches the scenario I'm thinking of, I will pass the information to the responsible engineers.
David Domask | Product Management: Principal Analyst
Nodnarb
Service Provider

Post by Nodnarb »

Mildur wrote: May 30, 2023 8:27 am Hi @Nodnarb

Can you please share the case number with me?

Best,
Fabian
Hi @Mildur,

The case number is 06087239. I'm still testing the fix provided. I ran the script for the IDs provided but there are a few more backups in the GFS backup that are now showing the problem. I've asked Support for those IDs so I can run the script on them.

FYI for anyone watching in the forum, the problem seems to be with orphaned encryption keys. I had to send Support my SQL database and they sent a script to run on it in my environment.
Nodnarb
Service Provider

Post by Nodnarb »

Reporting back that the scripts provided by Veeam Support solved the issue. The case number was 06087239, so if you have the same issue, please contact support and provide that number. There were two scripts to the fix. The first script was used to search for IDs of the problematic jobs and then the IDs were used in the second script to clean up the records. Pleas shut down your Veeam instance and back up the database first!