Tape Out at DR Site

Everything about backing up to tape

Tape Out at DR Site

Veeam Logoby apurva » Fri Feb 03, 2017 2:44 am

I have 2 sites (DC & DR). I do backup at DC and copy job to DR. I want tape out at DR site using the backup copy data. So I have given repository at DR site where backup copy data is written as source data to tape job. This is not working. Any way to tape out at DR site?
apurva
Veeam ProPartner

Liked: never
Full Name: Apurva Kumar

Re: Tape Out at DR Site

Veeam Logoby Shestakov » Fri Feb 03, 2017 10:08 am

Hello Apurva,
Could you give more details of the issue, do you see any error messages?
Where do you have backup and tape servers installed?
Thanks!
Shestakov
Veeam Software

Liked: 394 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Veeam Logoby apurva » Tue Feb 07, 2017 2:16 am

Hi Shestakov

I have veeam server at 2 sites (DC & DR). I do backup at DC site on local repository. Then a do backup copy job from DC site to DR site using WAN Accelerator. At DR veeam server, I imported the repository of backup copy job(target). This repository is also registered on DR veeam server. Now I have tape job at DR veeam server as this repository as source. The tape job run successfully stating no backup file found.

What can be solution to this?
apurva
Veeam ProPartner

Veeam Logoby v.Eremin » Tue Feb 07, 2017 10:03 am

Backup to tape job do not copy backups that do not have jobs associated with them. So, you can either orchestrate tape jobs from local backup server (more convenient) or archive backups to tapes from DR site, using file to tape jobs (less convenient).
v.Eremin
Veeam Software

Liked: 968 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Veeam Logoby apurva » Wed Feb 08, 2017 3:21 am

Hi V.Erimen,

Thanks for the detail. I think I have to use file to tape job only as tape drive is not available at DC site.

Second option i was thinking that if I remove veeam server role from DR site then backup to tape job will work from backup copy job?
apurva
Veeam ProPartner

Veeam Logoby v.Eremin » Wed Feb 08, 2017 8:01 pm

Thanks for the detail. I think I have to use file to tape job only as tape drive is not available at DC site.

Actually, you do not need to have tape drive at DC site. Using DC backup console, you will need to assign a tape server role to DR server. The libraries connected to this server will be exposed to the backup server.

Starting from this moment, you will be able to create backup to tape jobs on DC backup server.

Second option i was thinking that if I remove veeam server role from DR site then backup to tape job will work from backup copy job?

That's exactly what I've proposed. Orchestrate both backup and tape jobs from one backup server, either local or remote.
v.Eremin
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby apurva » Thu Feb 16, 2017 6:17 am

Hi Eremin,

Thanks for your suggestion. Now I have to choose between the 2 option.
apurva
Veeam ProPartner

Veeam Logoby v.Eremin » Sat Feb 18, 2017 11:25 am

If you're also replicating machines to DR site, then, I'd suggest having console there. If something happens with production environment, you will be able to execute required procedures (failover, failback) from remote site smoothly.

If you stick to local console, don't forget to backup server configuration somewhere (a physical share might be a good target for that).

Thanks.
v.Eremin
Veeam Software

Return to Tape