Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
sirhideo
Enthusiast
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Frankie

Moving backup files between repositories

Post by sirhideo »

big problem here and hope i can get some help...

Veeam Logic:
When the backup job called BackupJob (Forward incremental) is done, a backup to tape job called TapeJob is triggered and pull new increment created by BackupJob into tape.

Problem Scenario:
1) The tape media is new and contains data since 1st of this month and last one was from yesterday, let's just say 10th this month.
2) VeeamONE warning: disk space of \\BackupServer\BackupJob repository is almost full
3) Order new hard disk takes time... therefore I have manually copied \\BackupServer1\BackupJob\*.* into \\BackupServer2\Backupjob\*.*
4) Setup a new repository as \\BackupServer2\
5) Configure BackupJob to use \\BackupServer2\ as storage
6) Today is 11th, BackupJob has just finished, TapeJob has also finished.
7) I go to Veeam UI -> Backup -> Disk, expand the tree, I see VM1 there, try to restore entire VM and see the restore points are normal, from 1st to 11th this month. Only difference is the repository location.

--------- Problem -----------
8 ) I go to Veeam UI -> Backup -> Tape, I see two hierarchy there??? The structure and RP is as follows.
8a) BackupJob on Tape: VM1 -> restore -> restore point: from 5th Jan this year to 10th this month (1 year...)
8b) BackupJob on Tape: VM1 -> restore -> restore point: from 1st this month to 11th this month
9) I go to tape infrastructure and view the property of tape media
9a) BackupServer1
-> 1st.ThisMonth.VBK
-> down to ...
-> 10th.ThisMonth.VIB
BackupServer2
-> 1st.ThisMonth.VBK
-> down to.
-> 11th.ThisMonth.VIB

at 8b), why does Veeam UI care about the repository location of BackupJob, and then it generates a new restoration hierarchy for tape ???? Why can't just do it like Backup -> Disk approach? The tree is supposed to be use for restoration, the only concern is which tape should be called right? It is in a mess now...

Tape media contains all data from both old and new repository which is 99% duplicated.

After BackupServer1 has larger storage, I am thinking whether I should full erase the tape, copy everything from BackupServer2 into BackupServer1, swing back the repository of BackupJob back to BackupServer1 and then re-run , hope that TapeJob pulls back everything into tape, in one hireachy structure.

Then how about the Veeam console? I dont know the mechanism of how 8a) and 8b) is generated, but if I full erase the tape, will 8a) go away? Please no... if it is the case I have no way to restore older stuff from tape..

In this situation how can I tidy up the restore hireachy in Backup -> Tape and make it like VM restore points contains 5th Jan to 11th this month?
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Moving backup files between repositories

Post by Dima P. »

Hi sirhideo,

Can you elaborate how the source of the said tape job was configured? Was it a repository or a tape job only? Thanks
sirhideo
Enthusiast

Post by sirhideo »

Dima P. wrote:Hi sirhideo,

Can you elaborate how the source of the said tape job was configured? Was it a repository or a tape job only? Thanks
Hi Dimitry, the tape job is a "backup to tape" job, and its source is a backup job (in this case I name it BackupJob), not from a repository. Process incremental files and scheduled to run as new backup files appear.
sirhideo
Enthusiast

Post by sirhideo »

Today I have done the following:
1) erase the tape

Good Result:
The strange restore hierarchy that holds the restore points from 1st-11th has gone, meaning that after tape erase tape restore screen only has the original tape restoration hierarchy (From 1Jan to 31last month).

2) moved the VM backup restore points (from 1st to 11th this month) of BackupJob from new repository back to original repository (the server disk that I said almost full from previous post), exact same location as a roll back action.
3) Configure BackupJob's repository back to original location, it imported and have everything corrected under UI -> Backup -> Disk
4) Enable the tape job

Bad Result
So TapeJob sees that there are new files (since I erased the tape), it pulls 1st-11th restore points from old repository to tape.
Another restore tree that is reflecting the TapeJob ran from 4) has appeared.....
- old tree (1Jan to 31 last month) <- this may due to since I have erase the tape, the current month restore points have been taken out from this tree. It was 1 Jan this year to 10th this month
- new tree (1st to 11 this month)

If the restore points of merge together it will become correct. Why does veeam have to generate another tape restore hierarchy, while the repository is back to original already?
sirhideo
Enthusiast

Post by sirhideo »

submit a Case, #01215971
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Frankie,
Thanks for providing the details!
8a) BackupJob on Tape: VM1 -> restore -> restore point: from 5th Jan this year to 10th this month (1 year...)
8b) BackupJob on Tape: VM1 -> restore -> restore point: from 1st this month to 11th this month
I can confirm this behavior in my lab. This seems to be a side effect of the backup file being moved one location to another location. The issue that even though the backup chain was recognized by backup server (in case it was mapped), tape job threats it as a new job – we will investigate it further and fix if possible. Thanks again!