Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
mhaug
Influencer
Liked: 2 times

Tape Rotation

Post by mhaug »

First - We are using the Copy to Tape functionality with success, love the throughput and so far no real issues.

Second - I have a quick question on how to handle tape rotation - We are using a 17 Tape LTO-3 Loader with a single drive. Our tape sets are taken offsite weekly. We use a very simple naming scheme, W1T1up to W5-T17 When a tape set comes back into rotation, they are recognized and named correctly when I run an inventory job. (I have a PS script to do this on a schedule, its working fine) I have two issues, one, IF the tape wasn't used previously, Veeam doesn't honor its name, IE the inventory still names it Tape X not WxTx which was setup originally. and 2nd, I have to go in and mark the tapes as free, even though retention has been set for 7 days, otherwise the job will fail.

Any tips/tricks for these small items?

Thanks

Matt
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: Tape Rotation

Post by veremin »

1) You mean you renamed a given tape media via VB&R console, then, took this tape offline without writing data to it. Once you inserted this tape, it's name wasn't recognized properly, right?

2) I'm wondering whether you have already upgraded to the latest product version (v7 R2), as I do recall some issues with retention not working correctly in case of standalone that has been present previously.

Thanks.
mhaug
Influencer
Liked: 2 times

Post by mhaug »

1) Exactly, I am thinking that the label/name doesn't get written to the tape header until something else gets written or the tape gets formatted.

2) I just updated to R2, I will find out next Tuesday when our tapes get rotated.

Thanks for the quick reply.
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

1) Let me ask QA after the weekend to confirm this behavior. I will update the topic, once I have a little bit more information. Thanks.
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

QA did a quick test with V7 R2, and wasn't able to reproduce this issue. So, if you still experience this problem, kindly, open a ticket with our support team.

Thanks.