Tape Support - Feedback / Feature Req

Everything about backing up to tape

Re: Tape Support - Feedback / Feature Req

Veeam Logoby guillermo.lozano » Thu Oct 31, 2013 1:32 pm

Hi Community & Veeam Developers,

I would like to request that the standalone drives can write the tapes on a media pool when several tapes have been used and the prior tapes still have space left.

Thanks.
Regards,
Guillermo.-
guillermo.lozano
Enthusiast

Liked: 10 times
Full Name: Guillermo Lozano

Veeam Logoby v.Eremin » Thu Oct 31, 2013 2:31 pm

Hi, Guillermo, could you elaborate on it a little bit? From my perspective, "Don't create, always continue using current media set" option of media pool seems to provide exactly what you're after. With this option, the data will be appended to tape that is currently present, even if this tape has some previous data.

Thanks.
v.Eremin
Veeam Software

Liked: 968 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Veeam Logoby guillermo.lozano » Thu Oct 31, 2013 4:35 pm

Hi Vladimir, i pursued a way around this with support, but finally the conclusion was that it is not supported that Veeam uses a cartridge half way, then use another one, and then come back to the first one (please see Case # 00439919) because it was designed for tape libraries rather than standalone devices.

My request is to get that support for standalone drives.

Thanks.
Regards,
Guillermo.-
guillermo.lozano
Enthusiast

Veeam Logoby v.Eremin » Fri Nov 01, 2013 9:02 am

So, you’re saying that even with “Do not create, always continue using current media set”, the backup console insists that you insert a new tape, when the job is finished, even though there is a space on a current medium, right?

Thanks.
v.Eremin
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby guillermo.lozano » Mon Nov 04, 2013 1:32 pm

The exact issue is that after a job has finished and the tape has space left, if i use a new tape and after that tape was used and i want to use the first tape with free space left, the job says that the media is invalid.
Support Team told me that this is normal because this was not desinged to use with standalone drives, and this kind operation is not suported, so that's why i'm asking the Feature.
thanks.
guillermo.lozano
Enthusiast

Veeam Logoby v.Eremin » Tue Nov 05, 2013 1:27 pm

In case of standalone drives, when you insert new cassette, new mediaset is automatically created.

The only case when the current mediaset continues is when one cassette isn’t enough to host the corresponding data and you insert a new clean tape. If you insert cassette that has some backup data already written to it, then, you will see the said error “Tape is invalid”.

So, you’re right – currently, such scenario isn’t supported. The only option you have is not to append data to tape with previous information, but rather automatically overwrite it, using retention setting of a given media pool.

Anyway, thanks for the feedback, I’ve already passed this information to our OA team; much appreciated.
v.Eremin
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby guillermo.lozano » Mon Nov 11, 2013 4:40 pm

Thank You Vladimir.
Best Regards,
Guillermo.-
guillermo.lozano
Enthusiast

Veeam Logoby v.Eremin » Tue Nov 12, 2013 8:42 am

You're welcome. Feel free to ask, if any additional help or clarification is needed. Thanks.
v.Eremin
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby danatk » Mon Nov 25, 2013 9:02 am

Code: Select all
Ansp VeeamPSSnaping
$MediaPool = Get-VBRTapeMediaPool -name "Name of Media Pool"
$MediaPool.GetTapeToOverwrite()

Hope this helps.
Thanks.

Hi - I tried this out and it doesn't seem to work, unless I'm going wrong :)

I ran the command and it showed only 1 tape free for overwrite, which didn't seem correct, so in order to test I set the overwrite period on the media pool to 'Do not protect data' and ran the command again. It still only showed one tape available for overwrite, where I would have expected all tapes to now show as overwritable.

This is the main feature that I'm missing from Veeam for tapes...the ability to see which tapes are available for overwrite. It should be immediately obvious in the UI.

thanks,
Dan.
danatk
Influencer

Liked: 1 time

Veeam Logoby v.Eremin » Mon Nov 25, 2013 10:36 am

Hmm, then, may be the following script will be helpful. This script gets all tapes in a given media poll that can be overwritten and shows their names:

Code: Select all
asnp VeeamPSSnapin
$MediaPool = Get-VBRTapeMediaPool -name "Name of the media pool"
foreach ($Medium in ($MediaPool.GetTapeMediums() | where {$_.IsOverwriteProtectionPeriodOver() -eq $True}))
{
$Medium.name
}

Hope this helps.
Thanks.
v.Eremin
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby danatk » Mon Nov 25, 2013 4:40 pm

yes that seems to work, thanks!
danatk
Influencer

Liked: 1 time

Veeam Logoby Toschwil » Mon Nov 25, 2013 5:00 pm

Hi there,

First I want to apologize for my english, I'm from Germany.
I now also use the R2 version, because I also had the error that prevents tapes were overwritten each backup job. I wish that Veeam continues to expand the tape support, so that customers actually could do without another backup software for tapes.
Currently, there are for me several limitations that prevent this effect.
First, here reminds me of the fact a that tape jobs run 8 days, because they are waiting for a matching Tape and meanwhile block all other tape jobs. Veeam V7 has not built in any warnings that a tape job will run as long . There is no switch where i could specify that after 5 minutes of " waiting for a suitable tape" the active job is canceled.
Why can veeam not ( like many other tape software also ) just the (Tape) media pool divided into a working- and a saveset, the administrator at a glance could see if everything is running properly and quickly check if for the next Tapejob also tapes are available.
Why is it not possible to have a "File-tape job" to append to a tape job, so another directory ends up with more on the same tape?
But now I have bitched enough, there are plans one or the other function promptly implement?
Toschwil
Novice

Liked: never
Full Name: Thomas Schinkels

Veeam Logoby Dima P. » Tue Nov 26, 2013 10:43 am

Hello Thomas,
Thank you for your feedback!
First, here reminds me of the fact a that tape jobs run 8 days, because they are waiting for a matching Tape and meanwhile block all other tape jobs. Veeam V7 has not built in any warnings that a tape job will run as long . There is no switch where i could specify that after 5 minutes of " waiting for a suitable tape" the active job is canceled.

In the next releases we are planning to provide the granular notification for backup to tape jobs, so in case you backup to tape is hanging for some reason - tape operator would get an email notification. As for the "timeout" feature for tape jobs will be discussed with our development team.
Why can veeam not ( like many other tape software also ) just the (Tape) media pool divided into a working- and a saveset, the administrator at a glance could see if everything is running properly

By design tape library “owns” media pool, and media pool “owns” tape media. You can point all your tape jobs to one media pool, or use separate media pools to organize different retentions. Additionally you can have one backup to tape job including all your backups, or backup to tape for each backup.
quickly check if for the next Tapejob also tapes are available.

There is no need to do that if you use pick up free tape media from free media pool in your media pool options (step 2 Media Pool > Tapes)
Why is it not possible to have a "File-tape job" to append to a tape job, so another directory ends up with more on the same tape?

Are you talking about the ability to share one tape with free space between multiple tape jobs?
I wish that Veeam continues to expand the tape support

Yes, we are going to do that.
Dima P.
Veeam Software

Liked: 440 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Veeam Logoby v.Eremin » Tue Nov 26, 2013 11:07 am

Additionally, you can put into use Veeam ONE that allows you to keep track of the job duration and send you notification in case specified interval is exceeded. Thanks.
v.Eremin
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby Brett76 » Wed Nov 27, 2013 10:41 pm

Hi all,

I have recently installed Veeam in our environment after many issues with our previous backup product. I am very impressed with the product and really enjoy using it.

The only issue have have come up against is the tape media pools being library orientated and would also like to request that media pools be agnostic to the library.

The media pools should be agnostic to the library...i.e. we should be able to have multiple libraries that use common media pools

Let’s say you have two libraries one remote another is local using one media pool (containing all the tape media from both libraries) the local would start a job and pick a first media from the pool, which could be media loaded in the remote library so the job would fail. Scenario from the top of my head but it shows why tape media pool should be library oriented.

In my situation, I have 2 x HP autoloaders attached to my backup server. When I setup a job to go to tape, I do not really care which autoloaded it is backed up to, I would rather it go to the first available drive. I dont want to have to worry about balancing jobs between the 2 autoloaders. I would also get redundancy by having the media pools independant of the libraries. Of couse the issue of locking the media pool when a backup is in progress would also need to be resolved.

Thanks
Brett
Brett76
Lurker

Liked: never
Full Name: Brett Monaghan

PreviousNext

Return to Tape