Tape Support - Feedback / Feature Req

Everything about backing up to tape

Re: Tape Support - Feedback / Feature Req

Veeam Logoby v.Eremin » Wed Feb 17, 2016 12:06 pm

If a media is offline, we should be able to retire the media and/or move it to any library. Currently, we have a media which is causing me problems but neither the drive, library, nor Veeam has determined the tape to be bad, so once we remove the media from the library, we should be able to manually retire the media so that it is never used again. Also, we have media which has a location of "Offline", and we want to be able to move it to a specific vault, but that option is not available (it is greyed out).

Not sure whether it will work, but have you tried to move this tape to Retired Media Pool or to different Vault via Move-VBRTapeMedium cmdlet? Thanks.
v.Eremin
Veeam Software

Liked: 968 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Veeam Logoby Shestakov » Wed Feb 17, 2016 12:31 pm

Hello Scott,

You can review the list of exported tapes in the corresponding report and there is a Tape Vaults Overview which provides information on tape vaults created in VBR, lists all tapes archived in these vaults and previous tape location. Not exactly what you were talking about, but may be helpful/

As for the second request, that`s a great one and it`s going to be fulfilled by custom backup infrastructure report which is going to be implemented in future.

Thanks for a nice feedback!
Shestakov
Veeam Software

Liked: 394 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Veeam Logoby SSvatora » Wed Feb 17, 2016 4:31 pm

I ran the "Tape Exportation" report, and on our system it indicated zero exported tapes. Yet we have several tapes which we have removed from the tape library.

As for the "Tape Vaults Overview"... this report indicates that we have one (1) tape in our vault. Yet when we bring up the vault in VBR, there are 15 tapes in the vault.
SSvatora
Novice

Liked: never
Full Name: Scott Svatora

Veeam Logoby SSvatora » Wed Feb 17, 2016 4:52 pm

Not sure whether it will work, but have you tried to move this tape to Retired Media Pool or to different Vault via Move-VBRTapeMedium cmdlet? Thanks.

The cmdlet worked perfectly! Now all my tapes are in their correct Media Pools and appropriate Vaults. Hopefully some of these tape move commands make it into the GUI.

Sometimes it feels like I'm the only one still using tapes...
SSvatora
Novice

Veeam Logoby v.Eremin » Thu Feb 18, 2016 10:30 am

Hopefully some of these tape move commands make it into the GUI.

Actually, it's the opposite process, we try to cover GUI functionality with corresponding cmdlets. It just happens that sometimes PS exceeds GUI in terms of capabilities.

Anyway, glad to hear that PowerShell saves one's bacon once again.

Thanks.
v.Eremin
Veeam Software

Liked: 968 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Veeam Logoby Shestakov » Thu Feb 18, 2016 12:08 pm

SSvatora wrote:I ran the "Tape Exportation" report, and on our system it indicated zero exported tapes. Yet we have several tapes which we have removed from the tape library.

Did you export them manually or they were exported automatically in accordance with settings?
Shestakov
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby SSvatora » Thu Feb 18, 2016 3:34 pm

We manually remove the tapes...
SSvatora
Novice

Veeam Logoby Shestakov » Thu Feb 18, 2016 4:06 pm

That`s probably the thing, I guess for now the report shows only tapes which were exported due to the corresponding checkbox.
I`ll check if we can modify the report to track tapes exported manually.
Thanks!
Shestakov
Veeam Software

Previous

Return to Tape