Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
VEBC
Novice
Liked: never

Tape throughput "peaky"

Post by VEBC »

Hi,

I am going to log a ticket for this in the morning, but I am troubleshooting some performance issues when using a SAS LTO 6 drive (Currently LTO 5 media).

Using Veeam v10...

The job in question is completing a synthetic full (Based on a backup job using forever forward), but the throughput is fluctuating quite a lot between 120MB/s and 40MB/s (With an occasional period of time where the throughput drops to 0)... When I click on the Throughput (All time) graph it is very "peaky".

Is this all by design due to the processes of creating a synthetic full? The underlying disk storage does not appear to be doing much from a basic glance at the performance counters...

Currently the job is 23% complete and Veeam is stating the throughput is 49MB/s and that the bottleneck is the target at 91%
Natalia Lupacheva
Veteran
Liked: 302 times
Full Name: Natalia Lupacheva

Re: Tape throughput "peaky"

Post by Natalia Lupacheva »

Hello,

It's hard to guess without the logs what exactly could happen.
Please share a Support case ID with us when the case is opened.
The Support engineers will be able to analyse your logs and check if everything is ok.

Thank you!
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Tape throughput "peaky"

Post by Dima P. »

Hello VEBC,

I'd recommend to upgrade to v11 and re run the performance tests: tape backup engine was improved, so you should see performance increase not only for synthetic operations. Please do not forget to share the results with us.