Tape weekly/monthly jobs

Everything about backing up to tape

Re: Tape weekly/monthly jobs

Veeam Logoby v.Eremin » Mon Apr 03, 2017 11:32 am

So, you must be using "copy only latest chain" option to make tape jobs copy backups starting from the latest full backup, right? By doing this you managed to avoid having one full backup copied to tapes twice.

I got it, you can stick with this approach, until incremental option is added to GFS functionality.

Thanks.
v.Eremin
Veeam Software

Liked: 970 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Veeam Logoby ChrisJ0907 » Mon Apr 03, 2017 11:39 am

Yes I am using the copy only latest chain option. It's working ok for me at the moment, it's only a 1 line script, which I realise I can make 2 lines, and use 2 scripts on a schedule. All good :)

Looking forward to the GFS capability though. That is until we're ready to move away from tape. The best way I could think to avoid duplicate full, was to leave the monthly full to tape running for a week to capture the incremental, before the next active full appears.
ChrisJ0907
Influencer

Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Chris James

Veeam Logoby ChrisJ0907 » Mon Apr 03, 2017 11:58 am 1 person likes this post

I know this is very simple, but for anyone who like me, was looking for a similar answer here are the scripts I use. Hopefully not teaching too many how to suck eggs :)

End of the month
Code: Select all
asnp VeeamPSSnapin
Disable-VBRJob -Job "Weekly Backups"
Enable-VBRJob -Job "Monthly Backups"

Beginning of the month
Code: Select all
asnp VeeamPSSnapin
Disable-VBRJob -Job "Monthly Backups"
Enable-VBRJob -Job "Weekly Backups"

I have these saved in C:\Scripts for example and then run a scheduled task

Start a Program - Powershell.exe and then in the add arguments box I have -ExecutionPolicy Bypass C:\Scripts\Disable_Monthly_Tape_Schedule.ps1
ChrisJ0907
Influencer

Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Chris James

Veeam Logoby v.Eremin » Mon Apr 03, 2017 1:30 pm

The best way I could think to avoid duplicate full, was to leave the monthly full to tape running for a week to capture the incremental, before the next active full appears.

Yep, the workaround looks good, indeed. At first I didn't get it, thinking more about complexity it brings, but then... :)

I know this is very simple, but for anyone who like me, was looking for a similar answer here are the scripts I use. Hopefully not teaching too many how to suck eggs :)

Practice's showed me that there is no such thing as "simple" script, so thank you for sharing them with the community; appreciated.
v.Eremin
Veeam Software

Liked: 970 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Previous

Return to Tape