Tapelibrary/drives connected on proxy?

Everything about backing up to tape

Re: Tapelibrary/drives connected on proxy?

Veeam Logoby Peejay62 » Thu Mar 20, 2014 10:24 pm

Just out of curiousity and really looking out for a proxy-connected tapelibrary, has your consideration for adding the functionality in one of the next product releases already taken a more solid form, i.e. can we expect something happening there in a forthcoming release?

Thanks.
Peejay62
Expert

Liked: 21 times
Full Name: Peter Jansen

Veeam Logoby Gostev » Fri Mar 21, 2014 12:18 am

Most likely, yes.
Gostev
Veeam Software

Liked: 2350 times

Veeam Logoby Peejay62 » Fri Mar 21, 2014 8:42 am

sounds great,

thanks
Peejay62
Expert

Liked: 21 times
Full Name: Peter Jansen

Veeam Logoby stjg@sams.ac.uk » Tue Mar 25, 2014 9:36 am

Like most here , I have a Virtual VEEAM and a physical backup proxy - which also happens to have an MSL4048 attached to it as the backup proxy is also an archive storage server for other files. However I have to use expensive 3rd party software to backup to Tape ( which includes the VEEAM backup files). So VEEAM supporting Tape drives on proxies gets my vote- the sooner the better.

So some more questions:

1. The "6 month" expectation on supporting this was made in October - as it is now March - any update on this feature ?

2. I would also be interested to know if there are plans to support multiple proxies with a SAN attachment to the same tape library & Drive. This is what our set up is - 3 archive servers attached to the same Tape drive via a Fibre SAN switch - I am , in effect trying to achieve is a LAN-Free Serverless backup environment - is it likely that VEEAM could support such an environment eventually ?

3. As well as the VEEAM backup files on our backup proxies, I also store other 'archive' files on these servers. I would really like to be able to back these up to tape too, using VEEAM. However past testing has shown me that VEEAM Tape backup is optimized for the larger backup files and performs excruciating slow when backing up tens of thousands of smaller files - will this issue be resolved in a later release ?

Steve
stjg@sams.ac.uk
Novice

Liked: never
Full Name: Steve Gontarek

Veeam Logoby foggy » Tue Mar 25, 2014 11:19 am

stjg@sams.ac.uk wrote:1. The "6 month" expectation on supporting this was made in October - as it is now March - any update on this feature ?

As it is stated above, good chances that this functionality will be added to the next major release, which is scheduled for this summer.

stjg@sams.ac.uk wrote:3. As well as the VEEAM backup files on our backup proxies, I also store other 'archive' files on these servers. I would really like to be able to back these up to tape too, using VEEAM. However past testing has shown me that VEEAM Tape backup is optimized for the larger backup files and performs excruciating slow when backing up tens of thousands of smaller files - will this issue be resolved in a later release ?

The next product release should also significantly improve file to tape job performance.
foggy
Veeam Software

Liked: 1083 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

[MERGED] Feature request - Tape via proxy server

Veeam Logoby MMoret » Wed Aug 13, 2014 2:32 pm

Hi all,

Here is my suggestion.
Image the following setup:
Two sites; active active
We have a B&R installed on a physical server in site A
A proxy in site B
We make local backups and backup copies to the other site (cross).

We have a tape library in site A. We make tape backups for quarterly and yearly archive purposes.

I would like to have:
A virtual backup server (using all the nice HA features).
Two physical proxies for lan-free backup and tape out on each location.
This way backups to tape can be made off-site directly.

Is there anyone who can explain why the backup server must have the tape library and not the proxy (the proxy main function is data transport...)

Kind regards,
Martijn Moret
MMoret
Novice

Liked: never
Full Name: Martijn Moret

Veeam Logoby v.Eremin » Thu Aug 14, 2014 7:15 am

Hi Martijn, the upcoming v8 release should provide the said functionality; so, stay tuned. Thanks.
v.Eremin
Veeam Software

Liked: 973 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Veeam Logoby scott.anderson » Tue Aug 19, 2014 6:04 am

Vlad,

do you know if we can look forward to a granular file level recovery straight from tape, rather than having to stage the whole VM to disk before getting file level recovery?

Cheers
scott.anderson
Enthusiast

Liked: 8 times
Full Name: Scott Anderson

Veeam Logoby v.Eremin » Tue Aug 19, 2014 8:51 am

Can't comment at the moment. Stay tuned, as we will announce more features closer to v8 release. Thanks.
v.Eremin
Veeam Software

Liked: 973 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Previous

Return to Tape