Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
Novell2
Enthusiast
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Zeller Werner

Tapelibrary with 2 Tapedrives

Post by Novell2 »

Hello
I would like to optimize the backup jobs with ABR11 with a HPE Tapelibrary MSL G3 with 2 Tapedrives. Can I start a backup job to Tapedrive1 and another job to Tapedrive2? Can I start 2 different backup jobs at the same time?
When restoring a job, if a Tapedrive, for example 1, is still working on the backup, can I start a restore with the other Tapedrive?
Best regards, Thanks
werner
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Tapelibrary with 2 Tapedrives

Post by Dima P. »

Hello Novell2,
I would like to optimize the backup jobs with ABR11 with a HPE Tapelibrary MSL G3 with 2 Tapedrives. Can I start a backup job to Tapedrive1 and another job to Tapedrive2?
Yes, each tape job uses single tape drive unless parallel processing is enabled.
Can I start 2 different backup jobs at the same time?
Yes.
When restoring a job, if a Tapedrive, for example 1, is still working on the backup, can I start a restore with the other Tapedrive?
Yes.
Novell2
Enthusiast

Post by Novell2 »

Hi Dima P, Thanks! Question1 parallel processing, Where can I set Tapedrive1 or 2 to Backupjob?
Question3, where can I set if Tapedrive1 is in use to take Tapedrive2 for an other Tape Backupjob?
Thanks a lot!

Best regards Novell2
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Novell2,

It's not possible to select the exact drive in the job. Instead you can enable the parallel processing option in the target media pool and then define the amount of drives to be used by a single job. Thank you!
Novell2
Enthusiast

Post by Novell2 »

Hello DimaP.
thank you, I have a SAS LTO8 tape drive in a library with 40 slots, the monthly jobs take about 30 hours for all BK jobs. What can I expect if I install a second tape drive LTO8 with parallel processing? Can it be done in 15 hours or is the SAS channel limiting?
Thanks for your help!
Werner