Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
mike979
Influencer
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Mike

Tapes and Space

Post by mike979 »

I have a Media Pool that has a Media Set with these settings:
  • Do not create, always continue using current media set.
  • Data retention policy: Do no protect data.
There are three tapes in my media pool because there's about 25TB of data to backup.

The manual states
"If at the previous step you selected the Do not create, always continue using current media set option, keep in mind that the retention period for such media sets starts after the first tape in the media set becomes full."
My questions are: I ran the 1st full backup.
  • If I start the backup job again, it will run an incremental, right?
  • And will it overwrite any of the exsting saved data?
  • What If I run multiple incrementals and space on the third tape makes it so that a 4th tape is required... what happens then, will it prompt for another tape?
  • What if alternatively, the size of the backup goes from 25TB of data to 31TB requiring a 4th tape anyway, will it prompt for another tape?
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Tapes and Space

Post by Dima P. »

Hello mike979,
If I start the backup job again, it will run an incremental, right?
If you've checked incremental processing in the tape job settings
And will it overwrite any of the exsting saved data?
No, this option basically tells to the job to always append data to the latest tape in the media set whenever possible (whenever tape is present in the library).
What If I run multiple incrementals and space on the third tape makes it so that a 4th tape is required... what happens then, will it prompt for another tape?
Yes, in order to continue the job new tape will be required and you will get email notification if it's not present in the library.
What if alternatively, the size of the backup goes from 25TB of data to 31TB requiring a 4th tape anyway, will it prompt for another tape?
Yup.
mike979
Influencer
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Mike

Re: Tapes and Space

Post by mike979 » 1 person likes this post

Cool, thanks! I really appreciate it!