Tapes are not completely filled

Everything about backing up to tape

Tapes are not completely filled

Veeam Logoby TommyB » Fri Sep 13, 2013 8:00 am

Hi,

I have a media pool of 10 tapes, 800GB each, and all of them have between 16 and 30 GB free space.

I wonder if there is a technical reason that the tapes are not completely filled?

thomas
TommyB
Expert

Liked: 15 times
Full Name: Thomas Braun

Re: Tapes are not completely filled

Veeam Logoby v.Eremin » Fri Sep 13, 2013 8:36 am 1 person likes this post

Hi, Thomas. This behavior is based totally on tape device logic – once we receive internal message from tape appliance that tape media is practically full, we stop writing to it in order to avoid potential issues. So, the amount of free space left on tape media depends on tape device vendor and possibly model, but typically should be insignificant (about 3-5% of total capacity). Thanks.
v.Eremin
Veeam Software

Liked: 971 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Veeam Logoby TommyB » Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:00 am

Ok, in my case it is around 3.5%... Thanks for taking the time to explain it :-)
TommyB
Expert

Liked: 15 times
Full Name: Thomas Braun

Veeam Logoby v.Eremin » Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:02 am

You’re welcome. Should any additional help be needed, feel free to contact us. Thanks.
v.Eremin
Veeam Software

[MERGED] : Waiting for Tape error but there is space.

Veeam Logoby Jeremy-Corintech » Tue Apr 01, 2014 8:38 am

Hi guys, i've seen that there was a thread like this from feb last year but couldn't find a more recent one.

I'm currently doing a network to tape back up and although i have easily enough space Veeam is telling me waiting for tape. I've been left in charge of the back up procedures whilst the IT manager is away and this is the first time i've used the system.

Any ideas?

Current version of Veeam is: 7.0.0.839
Running from Server 2008 R2
Job has been trying to run for 50 hours now
I believe that what is trying to run in the weekly incremental back up, as far as i can tell it runs every two days
there are two tapes per week, the first is now full and the second has been written on, but now it is coming up with 'WaitingTape'

I'm currently waiting for a call from the support team, but until then any input would be appreciated, I really haven't used this software very much at all.

Thanks, Jeremy.
Jeremy-Corintech
Novice

Liked: never
Full Name: Jeremy Hughes

Veeam Logoby v.Eremin » Tue Apr 01, 2014 8:57 am

Hi, Jeremy,

As mentioned above, the tape free space determination lays on drive/library shoulders. So, there is not much we can do, if the drive/library reports to us that the current cassette is full.

Anyway, the support ticket will give you the final answer, once the required logs are thoroughly analyzed. Can you post ticket number here for the convenience of future readers?

Thanks.
v.Eremin
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby Jeremy-Corintech » Tue Apr 01, 2014 9:46 am

support ticket: 00542550

The first tape is full and the second has over 630GB free but Veeam still says waiting for tape. the second tape has worked as it's had some data written on to it as well.
Jeremy-Corintech
Novice

Veeam Logoby v.Eremin » Tue Apr 01, 2014 10:07 am

After filling the first tape did the tape job started writing to the second medium or it immediately showed “waiting for a valid medium” status? Thanks.
v.Eremin
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby Jeremy-Corintech » Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:03 am

It wrote over 150GB on to the disk then finished its back up for that day. sunday rolls in and Veeam trys to use compete the back up but shows the error message 'WatingTape'.
Jeremy-Corintech
Novice

Veeam Logoby v.Eremin » Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:07 am

Then, may be the reason is that new media set was created on the second day and the tape job stuck because the tape medium that had the data already written to it couldn't host two different media set? Thanks.
v.Eremin
Veeam Software

[MERGED] : Unused Tape Space (Dell ML6000-LTO3)

Veeam Logoby LeisJohn » Tue May 06, 2014 1:31 pm

Here is my issue, I have a Dell Power Vault ML6000 with IBM drives. Before the latest patch 3a version 7.0.0.839 my tape jobs used all of the 372.5GB tape capacity but, now it's leaving anywhere from 10 to 70GB of unused space on each tape. it added 5 tapes to my monthly backup. Any ideas on why this is happening?
John Leis
Network Administrator
St. Lucie County BOCC
LeisJohn
Influencer

Full Name: John Leis

Veeam Logoby v.Eremin » Tue May 06, 2014 2:12 pm

Hi, John,

Starting from patch#3, we're allocating some space on medium for our metadata in order to avoid situation when tape drive completely fills a tape, leaving no space for us. However, this happens only if device doesn't send us a corresponding warning about space running out. Also, the amount of allocated space is hard coded and equal to 2 GB. Therefore, the problem with left space exceeding this limit seems to be related to the tape device, rather than VB&R. For some reason it notifies us that currently inserted cassette is full, and we stop our operations.

You can open a ticket on this issue and double check it with the support team, though.

Also, haven't you updated your device recently? There is a similar case with one of our customers who has updated device drivers and started experiencing the said issue.

Thanks.
v.Eremin
Veeam Software

[MERGED] : Tape capacity not adding up?

Veeam Logoby motoxrdr21 » Wed May 28, 2014 4:52 pm

Veeam B&R doesn't seem to be using our tapes to capacity, we're running nightly reverse-incrementals with LTO4 tapes as the secondary, last night's backup is reported at 767.4GB, which is tight, but should wholly fit on 1 LTO4 tape with capacity in Veeam listed as 780.5GB. But this morning I came in to "waiting for tape" it had copied 756.1GB of data to the tape and ejected it prompting for another, looking at the tape that was used in Media it shows 20.7GB free, so why in the world is it asking for another tape, not only when the one in use isn't full, but when it has enough free space to complete the backup?!
motoxrdr21
Influencer

Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Steve Galambos

Veeam Logoby v.Eremin » Thu May 29, 2014 9:06 am

Hi, Steve,

Please, see explanations provided above regarding tape unused space; should clarify the situation for you.

Thanks.
v.Eremin
Veeam Software

[MERGED] : Why is there free space left on first tape

Veeam Logoby rmargeson » Mon Oct 20, 2014 1:16 pm

I have a FiletoTape job with Hardware compression enabled. Drive is LTO-3... tape capacitiy is 390.9 GB native. I have a job that requires multiple tapes. Ironcially there is over 130 GB free on the first tape. Any ideas, thoughts, questions???
rmargeson
Novice

Full Name: Rob Margeson

Next

Return to Tape