Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
djohnson88
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Dell Johnson

Tapes Fail when primary backup jobs run

Post by djohnson88 »

I recently move our VBR to a new host and upgraded from Version 11 to Version 12. I copied the configuration and move that to the new host also. I double checked the setting and everything is the same.
My issue is that Our Tape Job stops when the primary jobs run but this never happened on the old host. We did have the option "Prevent this job from being interrupted by source backup jobs" Checked but I removed it because the Backup tape job is continuous and I was preventing the primary job from running. The only thing I can think of is maybe something was changed in the registry but I didn't setup Veeam on the last host so I am not sure. Is anyone else having is issue? I would like to have the primary and backup Tape job running at the same time when scheduled.
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2296 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Re: Tapes Fail when primary backup jobs run

Post by Mildur »

Hi Dell

In v12 we have a known issue where locking mechanism doesn't work as expected for upgraded backup chains. We have a workaround with a registry key starting with P20230412. Make sure you are on the latest build (P20230718) and then implement the following registry key:

Code: Select all

Path: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Veeam\Veeam Backup and Replication
Name: TapeBackupLocksResolution
Type: DWORD
Value: 0
Best,
Fabian
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
stuartmacgreen
Expert
Liked: 34 times
Full Name: Stuart Green

Post by stuartmacgreen »

After installing V12 Cumulative Patch P20230718 I experienced the issue with kb4478, at the same time I faced a problem that Tape Backup Jobs, setup as Secondary Target for Backup to Disk jobs would not start, just nothing.
I opened 2 cases - a private fix was issued for kb4478 and installed.
This appeared to fix the issue with the Tape Backup Job (Case 06210213), as I had several days go with Tape Backup jobs working as expected. So I closed the case.
However, 5 days later I find its back again. I can manually start the Backup To Tape job.
The interim workaround fix is to restart the Veeam Backup Server. But its a guess when it will stop working again.

(My backup chains have all been upgraded prior to the Cumulative Patch)

Is THIS registry fix related to my symptoms?

Thanks
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2296 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Post by Mildur »

Hello Stuart

Rebooting backup server to get tape jobs running again sounds like a new issue and doesn't look related to the registry key.
Please open a new ticket and reference to the private fix and your two cases. Don't forget to share the new case number. I will move your question to a new topic after you have shared the new case number.

Best,
Fabian
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
djohnson88
Lurker
Full Name: Dell Johnson

Post by djohnson88 »

Hello Milder,

This registry fix. Does it put the tape on hold then restart it after the Job is done or will the tape continue to run at the same time as the primary job?
luisgmc
Novice
Full Name: Luis Correia

Post by luisgmc »

Hello

(Case #06276566)
Last week after upgrading from V11 to V12 12 P20230718, our TAPE JOB started failing. Applied this workaround but without success. Restarted veeam services without luck, should I reboot the VBR server ?

Kind regards
Luis
luisgmc
Novice

Post by luisgmc »

Hi

Veeam support already answered, the reg key was successfully applied so must be another issue.
We never had the option “Prevent this job from being interrupted by source backup jobs” enabled, neither want to enable it, so let’s wait for further developments.

Regards
Luis (Case #06276566)
david.domask
Veeam Software
Liked: 323 times

Post by david.domask » 2 people like this post

Hi @luisgmc,

Can I ask, why don't you want to enable the option? If you think it prevents the source jobs from running, that is a common misunderstanding.

All that option does is to allow the tape job to retain it's lock on the backup file it needs. Normally, without this option, the Tape job will surrender it's lock if _any_ other job wants the same backup file for any reason, and then just error and stop. With this option however, any other operation requesting this file will have to queue and work on other tasks.

I can't say why you didn't run into the locking conflict like this before v12, but give the option a shot. It has 0 impact on the environment, and I'm pretty sure it will only have a positive result for you.
David Domask | Product Management: Principal Analyst
luisgmc
Novice

Post by luisgmc »

Hi David

Just thought I had replied yesterday , weird, must forgot to hit submit button . Never mind, the option “Prevent this jobs from being interrupted” is the way to go and it’s working, you are totally right , “that is a common misunderstanding” I assume .

Kind regards
Luis
david.domask
Veeam Software
Liked: 323 times

Post by david.domask » 1 person likes this post

Hi @luisgmc, no worries,I know everyone has busy schedules :)

And glad to hear it's working. Indeed, even when I was on T1 I got confused by this at first; though I will submit a request to the technical writers to clarify that point in the User Guide, as seems it's a contentious point.
David Domask | Product Management: Principal Analyst
Samba222
Service Provider
Liked: 24 times
Full Name: Ronald

Post by Samba222 »

Hi David,
i run into the same issue and also "missunderstood" this point in User Guide (until Veeam support explained it) - so, thanks for request to clarify!

Ronald
stuartmacgreen
Expert
Liked: 34 times
Full Name: Stuart Green

Post by stuartmacgreen »

Mildur wrote: Aug 14, 2023 9:45 am Hello Stuart

Rebooting backup server to get tape jobs running again sounds like a new issue and doesn't look related to the registry key.
Please open a new ticket and reference to the private fix and your two cases. Don't forget to share the new case number. I will move your question to a new topic after you have shared the new case number.

Best,
Fabian
Just to close my issue off, Case 06246425.
A table in the VeeamBackup database was showing excessive rows of data or entries.
Once table cleared, no longer experiencing issue.
Backup To Tape chained and scheduled jobs now running as expected.
cam99x
Novice

Post by cam99x »

I have just updated to version
12.0.0.1420 P20230718 Of Backup & replication

Used the registery entry above.
then run a tape backup, and run the disk backup again.
The tape backup says displays the message "were changed, retry is required..." and pauses waiting for the disk backup job to complete then it resumes and completes.
Do other people have the same result?

This was only a small test job, not an hours long backup that is what we use in production.
This is without setting "Prevent this job from being Interrupted by source backup jobs" I have raised a ticket with Veeam 03092627 a few days ago