Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
DJCopa
Novice
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Darren Cope

Tapes moving into Protected

Post by DJCopa »

Hi All,

I have a backup to Tape job setup that has been working well. However, since Monday any tape that is inserted into the drive to commence backup gets ejected and tape then appears in the Protected folder. Media Pool Retention Policy is set to 'Do Not Protect'.

Selecting a tape in the protected folder shows the Protection tick as OFF. Any tape I add just gets ejected and put in Protected folder with no obvious means to move out.

Ejected tape shows following message:

Code: Select all

17/06/2015 05:01:28 :: Insert a valid tape into the library, oldest retained tape: May 2015 1, last written tape: Friday. 
I do have a End of Month VAULT setup, for archiving purposes (currently has May 2015 1 + 2).

I assumed, as I have 'Do Not Protect' on the media pool, any tape could be used, apart from ones held in Vault (end of month)? I have them labelled Mon-Fri and always go in sequence but I'm wondering if the Vault setup could be causing the issue?

Thanks for any help offered.

Darren.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: Tapes moving into Protected

Post by veremin »

Are you returning those tapes from a vault that has "protect all tapes moved to that media vault automatically" option enabled? What happens if you move those tapes from Protected to Free?
DJCopa
Novice

Post by DJCopa »

Hi,

The only tapes that were in the Vault were my end of month. As I now insert any other tape, held in Media Pool and showing in Offline, they get ejected and then appear in the Protected Folder - all options greyed out apart from option to Protect (it's unticked), Move to Vault or Remove from Catalog.

The Vault did have 'protect all tapes' but I have now removed that to see if it helps. Vault folder only shows the end of month tapes that should be in there.

So, I cannot move tapes from Protected to Free.

Thanks.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Then, I've to tell you that the described situation looks unexpected, and you'd better call our support team to investigate it directly.
DJCopa
Novice

Post by DJCopa »

Thanks - Will do.