Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
barnettd
Novice
Liked: never

Tapes Physcially labeled Incorrectly - Show serial numbers?

Post by barnettd »

Hello,
I'm dealing with a standalone tape drive - no barcode reader. It's come to my attention that quite a few tapes are physically mis-labeled. For example, Veeam might show "Tape 1" is being used, but the tape is labeled as "Tape 2". Does Veeam keep track of the serial numbers of the tapes? I used "get-vbrtapemedium -name "Tape 1"" but it dosen't show any of the info stamped on the tape.
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 724 times

Re: Tapes Physcially labeled Incorrectly - Show serial numbe

Post by PTide »

Hi,

Without a barcode scanner Veeam can only rely on the metadata that is written on the actual magnetic tape.
For example, Veeam might show "Tape 1" is being used, but the tape is labeled as "Tape 2"
So, you mean that the sticker on the tape says "Tape 2" while Veeam says "Tape 1" in its user interface, is that correct? What do you see in the tape properties? Also, where did the tapes come from - old Veeam server, or a 3rd party backup solution?

Thanks
barnettd
Novice
Liked: never

Post by barnettd »

Yes, the sticker was put on the incorrect tapes by the person loading them. These are tapes that have only been used with Veeam. The tape properties does not show any kind of serial number other than the blank barcode.

I know we can load the tapes and look at what Veeam detects and then relabel as nessecary, but was hoping to avoid loading all the tapes if possible.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

barnettd,

Tape without barcode is identified by it’s header internally and by the given name in the UI. Header is stored on tape (so VBR can easily reclaim it), name is written in VBR’s db.