Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
ejenner
Veteran
Liked: 100 times
Full Name: EJ

UI issue - selecting multiple files to restore from tape

Post by ejenner »

Hi guys,

I've found a problem with restoring files from tape.

I have a tape archive of some old backups and want to restore a file from one of them.

It's quite a difficult thing to do in the first instance but that's more of a problem with the way I've backed up the data. I backed up the Veeam backup files because I was archiving a repository to tape. So to restore a file from that backup I have to restore the .vbm, .vbk & a selection of .vib files to rebuild the backup to the day I wish to recover. That's not the point of this post though.

The issue is when selecting files to restore from tape. Given that the archive is multi-terabyte I'm against the idea of restoring the entire backup. So instead I just want to restore selected files. The problem is that you cannot select multiple files from a folder in a tape catalog. I can restore all the files in one job... but I have to add each file individually as the UI does not allow Ctrl+click or Shift+selection to add multiple files to restore.

In this case I'm currently working on I'm having to repeat the following steps over and over to select all the files I want to restore.

Restore from Tape dialogue > Add > Choose File or Folder > expand server > expand drive > expand repository folder > expand backup folder > enlarge the Choose File or Folder dialogue box to see longer file names > scroll down to find the files I want > select ONE file

REPEAT the entire process! Over and over and over and over....!
Egor Yakovlev
Veeam Software
Liked: 680 times
Full Name: Egor Yakovlev

Re: UI issue - selecting multiple files to restore from tape

Post by Egor Yakovlev »

Hi EJ!

This one is a known v10 issue and is fixed in v11. Please, bear with it.
Until then, you can add entire folder and multi-select remove extensive files added to the list.

/Thanks!