Un Retire Tapes

Discussions specific to tape backups

Un Retire Tapes

Veeam Logoby IHeartCats » Wed May 16, 2018 10:15 am

Hi Folks,

I found a 3 year old thread asking this question but I thought I'd start a new one, incase there is a different answer now.

Full backups to tape this weekend.
2 Tapes have become retired.
Looked at the Veeam logs, it looks like both tapes were retired while using the same drive.
Tape library logs show that drive required cleaning a couple of times on that day.

Since that point the drive has been used again and has had no further problems.

Hence I believe the two retired tapes are 99% like to be OK (They aren't old or anything) I think just a dirty drive caused the write issues.

How can I give them a second chance and un retire them?

If the tapes are dodgy I'm assuming they will get retired again and then I'll actually remove them.

Thanks
H
IHeartCats
Influencer

Liked: never
Full Name: Helen

Re: Un Retire Tapes

Veeam Logoby DGrinev » Wed May 16, 2018 12:38 pm

Hi Helen,

Briefly discussed your issue with the QA team and here is a short guide for you:
1. Make export of the tapes.
2. They should appear as offline in the catalog, so you can initiate Remove from catalog.
3. Insert them back in the Library, they will be recognized like a new tape in Unrecognized Media Pool.
4. You can try to use them again. Thanks!
DGrinev
Veeam Software

Liked: 114 times
Full Name: Dmitry Grinev

Veeam Logoby IHeartCats » Wed May 16, 2018 12:55 pm

Hi,

Thanks for the info.

I should elaborate, currently they have backup images on them which are still required. Everything I have read suggests that you should still be able to use images on the retired tape for restore where possible, until the data expires?

I'm assuming the process you describe looses any data on them?

Ejecting them from the library will be fun. Our library is offsite :?

Do you think there will every be the option to "un retire" tapes without needing this manual intervention? It's something we can do easily in our other backup software!

Thanks
Helen
IHeartCats
Influencer

Liked: never
Full Name: Helen

Veeam Logoby csydas » Wed May 16, 2018 7:04 pm

Hi Helen,

I think we goofed with this as well at some point in our environment and had Veeam Support help us. "Retired" is just some boolean in the database. Take a backup of your Veeam Database, look for the tapes section, and I think you can just flip the bit there. But obviously not official ;)
csydas
Enthusiast

Liked: 20 times
Full Name: Harvey Carel

Veeam Logoby DGrinev » Thu May 17, 2018 12:22 pm

IHeartCats wrote:I'm assuming the process you describe looses any data on them?

No, all the data will stay untouched, but the thing you should do when the tapes are back is right click on them and select "Catalog Tape" to preserve content.
IHeartCats wrote:Do you think there will every be the option to "un retire" tapes without needing this manual intervention?

I think the chances are low, since a tape gets Retired flag when the time has come and not accidentally, according to our experience.

Please keep in mind, It's not an official/unsupported solution that Harvey mentions, so make sure you have a backup before any changes in the database. Thanks!
DGrinev
Veeam Software

Liked: 114 times
Full Name: Dmitry Grinev

Return to Tape