Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
joergr
Veteran
Liked: 39 times
Full Name: Joerg Riether

Unable to use Library - "false positive"

Post by joergr »

Hi,

I have a let´s say cosmetical discussion / question going on in my team. We often use physical VEEAM machines with four physical streamers directly attached to it (no changer). So all of these four streamers have a free tape inside and are placed all in one Media Pool with multiple Libraries. The Backup to tape job is configured with this multi-library-media-pool as target and all works as expected: streamer a writes the tape full, then streamer b is automatically selected and the session continues and so on. Only cosmetic problem: Everytime a tape is full and the next streamer is automatically selected, veeam throws a "Unable to use library - Library Streamer xy has no free media" via Mail. As it is all good we really don´t want that warning message.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Joerg
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Unable to use Library - "false positive"

Post by Dima P. »

Hello Joerg.

I was under impression that you should get a warning message in the tape job session and warning email notification afterwards. Are you saying that you get a failed job email notification whenever job fails over to another tape device?
joergr
Veteran

Post by joergr »

Hi,

no warning at all in the log / history. The job log shows completely green and the log just says with green marks "library has no free media" followed by a green "required ressources found". So all is OK. The mail we get is no warning either, it just says subject "unable to use library" and text "Library Streamer-bla cannot be used for backup. Details: Library Streamer-bla has no free media".

This mail makes no sense at all and we do not know how to stop it without disabling all mail warnings.

Thanks

Joerg
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. » 1 person likes this post

Thanks for the details! It sounds strange, let me discuss this behavior with QA team.
joergr
Veteran

Post by joergr »

Yep, that would be great ;-) Thanks Dima.
AlexB82
Enthusiast
Liked: 8 times
Full Name: Alex

Post by AlexB82 »

Hi,
I'd like to report the same issue, only it happens with our 4 IBM tape libraries (4 drives and 45 tape slots per library). What makes matters worse is that we have Veeam automatically logging service desk trouble tickets with each one - last weekend I had to close around 40+ tickets all with the same text. No jobs actually failed, so it's highly frustrating. The message sent is:

Library IBM 3573-TL D.60 (*libraryname*) cannot be used for backup. Details: All drives are busy in IBM 3573-TL D.60 (*libraryname*)

If it could be disabled so that only actual failures are emailed, it'd be much appreciated.
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. » 1 person likes this post

Hi AlexB82,

QA team has concluded that this behavior should be investigated by our support team as log analysts is required. Please submit a support case and share the case Id in this thread. Thank you in advance!
AlexB82
Enthusiast

Post by AlexB82 »

Joerg - I logged a case with Veeam for this, and I've been advised by support to add the "DisableEjectWarning" registry entry on the tape servers. Not sure if it'll help, but we'll see when the next tape run happens.

It's meant to suppress the "unable to eject some tapes" warning, but they've advised it might work for this error too.
joergr
Veteran

Post by joergr »

Hi, nice, thanks, just set

Path: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Veeam\Veeam Backup and Replication
Value: DisableEjectWarning
Type: DWORD
Value : 1

let's see how this works out ;-)

Thanks

Joerg
AlexB82
Enthusiast

Post by AlexB82 »

I was told to put it in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Veeam\Veeam Backup Tape - might want to include that location too?
joergr
Veteran

Post by joergr »

Thanks!

OK, done. Let´s wait and see. Does it need a service restart or is it effective immediately?

Thanks

Joerg
AlexB82
Enthusiast

Post by AlexB82 »

They didn't mention anything about restarting services.
lyapkost
Expert
Liked: 48 times
Full Name: Konstantin

Post by lyapkost »

Hi. DisableEjectWarning key won't do anything in the mentioned case. The described event is failover so the warning message is expected there.
joergr
Veteran

Post by joergr »

Correct. I tried it, both keys and Reboot - unfortunately, same message coming via mail after each backup.
AlexB82
Enthusiast

Post by AlexB82 »

We had mixed results. It's reduced the number of emails quite a lot, but we still got some. I think it's because we had almost all our monthly tape jobs kicking off at the same time (which on 9.5 Update 2 caused no problems, the jobs would happily wait for resources). Since 9.5 Update 3 was installed, it seems more likely to complain about the drives being in use and just failing the job. I've spaced our jobs out over the course of a few hours to help, but it's still not perfect.
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Hi folks.

As mentioned above we still need your case IDs to pass to QA team. Thanks.
AlexB82
Enthusiast

Post by AlexB82 »

Hi Dima,

It's 02882362.
nunciate
Expert
Full Name: Alan Wells

Post by nunciate »

I see this is pretty old but I have the same behavior on my tape server. We recently added a second library and after adding that second library to all my media pools I started getting those alerts. Not a huge problem but I would also like to disable those emails if possible as I get quite a few of them as tapes run and failover between the libraries. Recently updated for 9.5 U4b so I have the latest.
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Alan,

Tape failover logic was reworked in Update 4 (since we've added the parallel processing for multiple tape libraries), so the solutions provided in this thread might be outdated. Kindly raise a support ticket and share the case ID in the thread. Cheers!