Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
goodface
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: goodface

[MERGED] : veeam tape

Post by goodface »

esxi host is running on ibm 3650 m3 server and we use veeam backup 7 . now i want to buy a LTO-5 Ultrium 3000 SAS Internal Tape Drive for my system. i will connect tape driver with esxi host. can i use tape driver on my system with veeam backup and can i backup with this devices
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: V7 Share SCSI tape library

Post by veremin »

If you connect tape device directly to ESX(i), you will have to use the tool mentioned above in order to expose the device via ISCSI protocol, thus, make it visible to backup console. Thanks.
kbelzows
Lurker

Post by kbelzows »

Has there been any progress with the adding tape backups through a proxy server feature? I'm trying to get the StarWind iSCSI software to work but keep having problems with "Error: WinApi function 'Failed to move medium. Returned win error: '1160'. Parameters: MoveMediumImpl(uint sourceElementAddress='0', ELEMENT_TYPE sourceElementType ='ChangerDrive', uint destinationElementAddress ='4', ELEMENT_TYPE destinationElementType ='ChangerSlot')' failed, code '1160', message 'The indicated source element has no media'

v.Eremin wrote:Hi, Mike,

For now you can use third-party tool mentioned by Guillermo in order to expose physically connected device via ISCSI protocol. Also, please be aware that we will support tape drives/libraries connected to proxy servers in one of the future releases.

Thanks.
NigelVagana
Lurker
Full Name: Sanjesh Singh

[MERGED] : Standalone Hyper-V with Tape

Post by NigelVagana »

Hi, we are looking at using Veeam for a standalone hyper-v host. Ie, all 5 VMs, (AD, Exch etc) will be hosted on a single Hyper-V host. I need to ensure we can backup via tape, however, do not know how to go about designing the solution. Ideally I would like to install Veeam in its own VM, then pass the SCSI device to it to perform tape backup (Veeam will be setup to perform D2D and D2T). Is this possible?

Or would I need to install Veeam on the Hyper-V host (thinking this is not best practise) so that Veeam has access to the SCSI tape, then configure backups.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Cheers!
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

Or would I need to install Veeam on the Hyper-V host (thinking this is not best practise) so that Veeam has access to the SCSI tape, then configure backups.
The recommended approach would be either to install VB&R on Hyper-V host or expose tape library via ISCSI protocol, using 3-party utility. Thanks.
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

Has there been any progress with the adding tape backups through a proxy server feature?
According to the plan, this functionality should be added in v8 release.
I'm trying to get the StarWind iSCSI software to work but keep having problems with
Is VB&R that generates the said error? If so, please, open a ticket with our support team and let them address it directly.

Thanks.