Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
Ikes73
Novice
Liked: never

v8 Remote Tape Server - Direct SAN access

Post by Ikes73 »

Hi,

Our B&R server is virtual. We backup VM's to a backup repository on RDM's.
In this setup we can only backup the vbk files to tape over LAN or using scripted storage mirror clones we present to our Remote Tape Server, this way working over SAN.
The latest option is preffered but adds an extra layer of possible faults (script failure, no presentation of clone, etc) resulting in backup failures.

I hoped to be able to use a backup repository on a VMFS volume and make the backup to tape job use some kind of direct access mode (the vmfs lun is presented on the remote tape server, visible under disk manager).

My test setup however doesn't give any option where I can specify Direct SAN access , a test backup shows full LAN usage ...

Am I missing something or is this the best we can get out of the Remote Tape Server ?
BTW, we are not willing to make our B&R physical.

Kind regards.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: v8 Remote Tape Server - Direct SAN access

Post by Dima P. »

Hello Ikes73,
I hoped to be able to use a backup repository on a VMFS volume and make the backup to tape job use some kind of direct access mode (the vmfs lun is presented on the remote tape server, visible under disk manager).
Unfortunately, it is not possible – in the current version of the remote tape server support you either connect tape device directly to the repository or utilize LAN for transferring backups from the remote repository to the remote tape server. By the way, if the current configuration remains, you can configure throttling rules to lower the LAN load.
Ikes73
Novice
Liked: never

Re: v8 Remote Tape Server - Direct SAN access

Post by Ikes73 »

Tx, was afraid so.

Btw, I am looking for max throughput, throttling doesn't fit in that thought ;-)