v9 GFS Media Pool & Tape Job

Everything about backing up to tape

Re: v9 GFS Media Pool & Tape Job

Veeam Logoby Dima P. » Fri Nov 18, 2016 5:43 pm

Christian,

Yes, it's in the list of most requested features.
Dima P.
Veeam Software

Liked: 477 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Veeam Logoby Alexey_mz » Sun Nov 20, 2016 10:25 pm

I think not only me noticed the odd Veeam's features for tape backup. When i create backup job to tape with two media pools for example the fist with retention period 2 weeks for incremental backups and the second for fulls with retention 3 month. Then after some time we have one media pool that contains only incrementals and the second contains only fulls. But when i want to use GFS pool for full backups it starts to happen something strange - the page with incremental disappears and i can't backup incremental backups at all. That is very odd. As you said GFS is only for full backups - i'm totally okay with that, but why we can't store incremental backups for example in just media pool? We will have 2 separate pools as in situation above.

The next thing is automatic repository backup to tapes when backup arrives to disk. That is AWESOME feature, but we can use only media pools. Why we can't use GFS pool for full backup and media pool for incremental?

And the last odd thing is Files to tape backup. GFS pool is not supported for this operation. Why?!?

Veeam has a lot of sweet features like synthetic backup to tape, tape library servers and we can create logical pool with tape libraries. But all this worth nothing when you can't organize backup schedule without ass pain.
Alexey_mz
Novice

Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Alexey Mazurin

Veeam Logoby expert » Mon Nov 21, 2016 9:54 am

Alexey_mz wrote:And the last odd thing is Files to tape backup. GFS pool is not supported for this operation. Why?!?

I'm also missing this feature and hoped that will be integrated in verison 9.5 :(
expert
Novice

Liked: never

Veeam Logoby Daveyd » Mon Nov 21, 2016 1:14 pm

For those whom have a tape library that has multiple tape drives, are you using GFS media pools since they do not support parallel processing utilizing multiple drives?
Daveyd
Expert

Liked: 10 times
Full Name: Dave DeLollis

Veeam Logoby final » Sun Dec 04, 2016 11:09 am

Daveyd wrote:For those whom have a tape library that has multiple tape drives, are you using GFS media pools since they do not support parallel processing utilizing multiple drives?

Yeah I do and I'm kinda frustrated about it. I don't quite understand why they've made GFS-Jobs so complicated. I think all that people wanted was regular Tape jobs combined with autmatic creation of retention sets (weekly, monthly, quarterly, yearly). I don't get why GFS-Jobs lack so many features regular tape jobs have. This is most notably for me:
- Parallel Tape processing
- If you can't do parallel tape processing just yet, PLEASE add an option so that all drives of a library are used (more or less) equally. GFS only uses the first drive of a library...
- Option to start a job after a full backup job finishes, instead of this timeout / wait for new backup sets to appear nonsense. To me, this seems to be one of those "why make it easy if we can make it complicated" cases.

And a super-fancy request: Add the option to run the Tape/GFS and the source-job in parallel, i.e. start them both at the same time. If the tape is faster than the disk drive, both jobs could write the input stream to their specific targets. If the disk is faster, then the tape job would have to read from the B2D-device while it's being written to.
final
Enthusiast

Liked: 8 times

Veeam Logoby Shestakov » Sun Dec 04, 2016 6:17 pm

Add the option to run the Tape/GFS and the source-job in parallel, i.e. start them both at the same time. If the tape is faster than the disk drive, both jobs could write the input stream to their specific targets. If the disk is faster, then the tape job would have to read from the B2D-device while it's being written to.

Source and tape job cannot run at the same time because source job may change the source backups on the fly making it inconsistent for the tape job.
There is a new option in v9.5 to postpone the start of the source job if tape one is still running.
Thanks
Shestakov
Veeam Software

Liked: 430 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Veeam Logoby Maurice » Mon Jan 23, 2017 1:58 pm

Hello everyone,

i have a question about a GFS Job. It's configured to run on Sunday, but in the report i see it ran on sunday AND monday. Both successful. On Sunday it transfered 1,2 TB on 2 tapes and on monday it has done nothing.
Is that by design or is it a bug?
Running: v9.5 (without U1)

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Maurice
Maurice
Service Provider

Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Maurice Galicic

Veeam Logoby Shestakov » Mon Jan 23, 2017 2:26 pm

Hello Maurice,
It looks like a bug. I will double-check the behavior with QA team and write back once we have results.
Thanks!
Shestakov
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby Maurice » Tue Jan 24, 2017 8:39 am

Thank you! I really appreciate it. :)
Maurice
Service Provider

Veeam Logoby Shestakov » Tue Jan 24, 2017 2:16 pm

Maurice,
That`s not a known issue.
Has it happened just once or you receive 2 notifications from 1 job run all the time?
Thanks!
Shestakov
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby Maurice » Tue Jan 24, 2017 6:36 pm

It happened last week, too. So it's a periodic behaviour. Should i open a case?
Maurice
Service Provider

Veeam Logoby Shestakov » Tue Jan 24, 2017 10:06 pm

Yes, please do. Once you have a support case open, please share your case number here for us to follow the investigation.
Thanks!
Shestakov
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby Maurice » Fri Jan 27, 2017 9:49 am

Case-ID: #02051942
Maurice
Service Provider

Veeam Logoby Shestakov » Fri Jan 27, 2017 9:58 am

Thanks.
By the way, QA has reproduced the bug as well. We will fix it in future releases.
Shestakov
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby CPCS » Mon Feb 13, 2017 11:59 am

cmaier wrote:Hi,

Daily incrementals are not addressed in GFS pools in 9.5? Why not? I thought you recognized that almost everyone needs this?

Regards,
Christian

I also upgrade to 9.5U1 recently and am very disapointed that in times of daily new ramsomware i am still not able to protect my daily incrementals on a tape device with GFS :(
CPCS
Influencer

Liked: 3 times

PreviousNext

Return to Tape