v9 GFS Media Pool & Tape Job

Everything about backing up to tape

v9 GFS Media Pool & Tape Job

Veeam Logoby McClane » Tue Jan 12, 2016 12:44 pm

Hi,

I am just evaluating the new tape features of v9 to replace our Tivoli solution.
As far as I can see, I can't disable quarterly backups if I don't need them? And by default there are 12 monthly and 4 quarterly backups for rentention, what makes no sense to me.

What I would like to do is: Full backup on Sunday then daily incremental Mon-Sat with daily export to the vault to have a disaster recovery set of tapes with the most recent data.

Else I need a tape set for long term archive for 10 years of some servers. I would like to write those backups to an appending tape set and export these tapes once they are full. Tivoli can reorganize such tape jobs to save and minimize tapes usage. What options do I have for this?

Or maybe someone has better ideas to handle about 30TB data (long term are about 13TB at the moment).

Thx
McClane
Enthusiast

Liked: 10 times

Re: v9 GFS Tape

Veeam Logoby v.Eremin » Tue Jan 12, 2016 1:02 pm

As far as I can see, I can't disable quarterly backups if I don't need them?

You can, by specifying 0 opposite to Quarterly media set protection period.

Else I need a tape set for long term archive for 10 years of some servers. I would like to write those backups to an appending tape set and export these tapes once they are full.

Set 10 as a yearly mediaset overwrite protection period. Then, go to advanced settings of GFS media pool -> Yearly, and check "append backup files to incomplete tapes".

Thanks.
v.Eremin
Veeam Software

Liked: 968 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Veeam Logoby Dima P. » Tue Jan 12, 2016 1:59 pm

What I would like to do is: Full backup on Sunday then daily incremental Mon-Sat with daily export to the vault to have a disaster recovery set of tapes with the most recent data.

With GFS tape jobs you can keep only the full backups. Incremental restore points are ignored (or used for virtual full backup to tape creation). If you want to keep the incrementals on tape use the regular media pools instead.
I would like to write those backups to an appending tape set and export these tapes once they are full.

In regards to GFS media pool: you can use any media set within the GFS media pool and just adjust the overwrite protection period to the one you need. The media set itself shows how frequently virtual full backup can be set in the tape job properties.
Dima P.
Veeam Software

Liked: 440 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Veeam Logoby McClane » Tue Jan 12, 2016 9:42 pm

Ah, almost a hidden feature, or I overlooked it in the docs.

I will have to calculate a little before I find the best solution between amount of tapes, fast restores and long term availibility of daily restore points.

Thx
McClane
Enthusiast

Liked: 10 times

Veeam Logoby v.Eremin » Tue Jan 12, 2016 10:30 pm

Extensive information regarding GFS media pools can be found in the corresponding section of our User Guide. Should other help be needed, don't hesitate to ask. Thanks.
v.Eremin
Veeam Software

[MERGED] v9 GFS Tape Job

Veeam Logoby PostBE » Wed Jan 13, 2016 8:58 pm 1 person likes this post

Firstly thanks for V9 there looks to be heaps of improvements but there are a couple of features that I am unclear of and the GFS tape job is one of these.
I am wanting to use this but according to the manual or from what I understand this will not copy my weekly incrementals to tape just the full backup?
Can you clarify if this is the case as I obviously want to stream my full backup chain including incrementals to tape each week and not just the full backup.

Cheers.
PostBE
Influencer

Liked: 4 times
Full Name: Dale Clyne

[MERGED] Re: v9 GFS Tape Job

Veeam Logoby Dima P. » Wed Jan 13, 2016 10:58 pm

Hello Dale,

Thank you for the feedback! That’s true - GFS Media Pool is all about full backups and long term retention. In order to keep the incrementals on tape, please use the simple media pool.
Dima P.
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby PostBE » Wed Jan 13, 2016 11:32 pm

Dima thanks for your reply that's a bit of a shame as it would have worked perfectly for me if it had processed incrementals...Maybe in version 9.1 ;)
PostBE
Influencer

Liked: 4 times
Full Name: Dale Clyne

Veeam Logoby v.Eremin » Thu Jan 14, 2016 11:10 am

Maybe in version 9.1

We tend to follow paradigm dictating that GFS restore points should be stored in the form of full backups without any dependencies between each other - the same way those points are created in case of backup copy job. Thus, the underlying technology staying behind tape GFS is virtual full backup allowing us to create full backups directly on tape mediums. Thanks.
v.Eremin
Veeam Software

[MERGED] v9 GFS Incrementals?

Veeam Logoby ekisner » Thu Jan 14, 2016 6:51 pm

So a question, I do not see a way to create an incremental pool in the GFS. Which would be fine, I could have a second job for just the incrementals, but that requires that it do full backups as well (with incremental as an option).

How would one create an incremental-only tape job?
ekisner
Expert

Liked: 31 times
Full Name: Erik Kisner

Veeam Logoby Dima P. » Thu Jan 14, 2016 7:25 pm

Hi Erik,

It’s true for now GFS media pools (and job targeted to the GFS media pool) supports full backup only. Can you clarify how long would you like to keep these incrementals in conjunction with GFS rotation schema? Thanks.
Dima P.
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby cmaier » Thu Jan 14, 2016 10:22 pm

Hi,

I impatiently waited for v9 because I want to finally send Backup Exec into Nivana. I still use Backup Exec for File to Tape Backups using a GFS scheme: 12 monthly and 10 weekly fulls combined with daily incrementals.

In Backup Exec I have 7 media pools:
- Saturday monthly (full) - for backups running on first Saturday of each month
- Saturday weekly (full) - for backups running on all other Saturdays
- Monday (incremental)
- Friday (incremental)

How can I do the same with Veeam B&R? Frankly, I don't understand the Veeam system of media pools.

GFS media pools are not enabled to File to Tape Jobs at all. But if they would - how could I handle the incremental backups?
cmaier
Influencer

Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Christian Maier

Veeam Logoby v.Eremin » Fri Jan 15, 2016 10:27 am

Currently, GFS is only about creating full backups, not incremental ones.

Also, GFS media pool are only provided for backup to tape jobs, not for files to tape ones. So, it doesn't make a lot of sense to discuss how non-existing functionality should be setup.

Are you leveraging files to tape backup jobs? If so, you can try something like this to achieve GFS on tapes.

Thanks.
v.Eremin
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby cmaier » Fri Jan 15, 2016 12:19 pm

You are right, but I expect to use backup to tape jobs later, too. So it would be interesting to discuss this anyway because the questions stay the same. The GFS media pools make no sense to me if they don't provide a solution for the daily incremental backups. I think there is no scenario where no incrementals are included in the backup chain. And there is no way to run incremental jobs without a full backup.
v.Eremin wrote:Are you leveraging files to tape backup jobs? If so, you can try something like this to achieve GFS on tapes.

Thanks, I will study you post.
cmaier
Influencer

Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Christian Maier

Re: v9 GFS Media Pool & Tape Job

Veeam Logoby Dima P. » Fri Jan 15, 2016 3:54 pm

Folks,
Thanks for sharing your thoughts. It seems that we have two similar discussions going separately, so I’ve merged all the posts into the single thread to keep track of the improvement requests.

cmaier,
So you would like to keep the incrementals in the weekly media set and overwrite it on a weekly basis is that correct?
Dima P.
Veeam Software

Next

Return to Tape