v9 Insert a tape to continue mail

Everything about backing up to tape

Re: v9 Insert a tape to continue Mail

Veeam Logoby Dima P. » Fri Jan 15, 2016 4:12 pm

Folks,

According to the number of posts, there is definitely an issue but we need to get as much troubleshooting information as possible, so once you recognize the said behavior – submit your logs to the support side and post here the case ID. This will let me pass your logs directly to QA team. Thanks!
Dima P.
Veeam Software

Liked: 441 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: v9 Insert a tape to continue mail

Veeam Logoby StephanF » Mon Jan 18, 2016 12:23 pm

Hi,

same issue here after upgrading to v9 yesterday.

I have a tape job hanging at "WaitingTape" right after it started.
One LTO6 tape library with one drive and 24 slots. There are 10 tapes in the library. 2 tapes are from the correct Media Pool.Both are expired and therefore could be used.
Restarting job or server has no influence.

Case# 01641672
StephanF
Enthusiast

Liked: 6 times

Veeam Logoby v.Eremin » Mon Jan 18, 2016 4:19 pm

The issue has been confirmed and tracked as a bug.

It happens in the following situation. The tape has been exported from a standalone drive, after that, the drive gets inventoried. Then, a new tape is inserted in the drive, but no inventory is performed afterwards.

After that, a tape job is started. Based on the results of the latest inventory backup server decides that there is no tape inserted in the drive. Thus, the corresponding notification is sent.

After a while, the tape job finds the current tape and starts archiving data.

As the result, there is confusion - the tape job is working properly, in the meantime notification regarding insertion of proper medium is still sent.

The issue is planned to be fixed in the Update 1.

Thanks.
v.Eremin
Veeam Software

Liked: 973 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Veeam Logoby StephanF » Mon Jan 18, 2016 5:43 pm

Hi v.Eremin,

the issue you described is not suitable for us.
We are using a tape library not a single tape. The tapes were inserted days ago and inventory happened correctly. The tape job started 04:00am and was waiting for a tape until 11:30am. Then I cancelled the job.

This could also be a second (maybe related) issue.
StephanF
Enthusiast

Veeam Logoby Dima P. » Mon Jan 18, 2016 5:48 pm

StephanF,

Thanks for the heads up! I’ve reached QA team to let them know about your particular case.
Dima P.
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby bfarmil » Tue Jan 19, 2016 6:35 am

Hi,

We are also experience what sounds like the same problem as StephanF. We have a library with tapes from three pools. We load tapes that have come back from storage that have expired protection which have historically worked just fine. Since upgrading to Veeam 9 the jobs will not used the "expired" media and the job stalls once any "Free Pool" media is exhausted. This can be remedied by manually marking each expired tape as free or moving the tapes to the free pool. Neither of these are great solutions especially since the expected behavior shouldn't require it.

I have logged a support ticket with Case # 01670149. We can work around it at the moment but keen for a fix.
bfarmil
Service Provider

Liked: never
Full Name: Bryce Farmilo

Veeam Logoby ReKoR » Tue Jan 19, 2016 11:50 am

v.Eremin wrote:The issue has been confirmed and tracked as a bug.

This is exactly the behaviour in our case. But I want to mention that there wasn't an inventory in the previous version as well.
ReKoR
Novice

Liked: 2 times

Veeam Logoby v.Eremin » Tue Jan 19, 2016 11:59 am

Correct. The issue is specific to version 9, meaning it hasn't existed before. Thanks.
v.Eremin
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby kkuszek » Tue Jan 19, 2016 2:30 pm

Replying for subscription, I have the same problem here and am also using a tape library, Oracle sl150 with dual lto-6 drives.
I have a "tape libraries discovery" job that is sitting at 0% since yesterday.
My first tape archive job is running but gave me the no tape error to start. The pool had a collection of expired media sets to choose from.
kkuszek
Enthusiast

Liked: 5 times
Full Name: Kurt Kuszek

Veeam Logoby monstermania » Wed Jan 20, 2016 7:26 am

bfarmil wrote:Hi,

We are also experience what sounds like the same problem as StephanF. We have a library with tapes from three pools. We load tapes that have come back from storage that have expired protection which have historically worked just fine. Since upgrading to Veeam 9 the jobs will not used the "expired" media and the job stalls once any "Free Pool" media is exhausted. This can be remedied by manually marking each expired tape as free or moving the tapes to the free pool. Neither of these are great solutions especially since the expected behavior shouldn't require it.

I have logged a support ticket with Case # 01670149. We can work around it at the moment but keen for a fix.

Same here! We use a Quantum Superloader3 with 16 slots and LTO5.
Update from Veeam 8 to 9 yesterday afternoon.
Today the daily F2T-job hangs about 30 min in 'Watining for Tape' state. Some Tapes with "expired" state are online. Veeam don't use these tapes!
I've manually changed the tape state with "Mark as free" during the running F2T job. After that Veeam 9 uses the tapes.

Shame on you Veeam! :roll:
monstermania
Influencer

Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Dirk Klatt

Veeam Logoby v.Eremin » Wed Jan 20, 2016 12:17 pm

Just to update the topic with the latest information.

There are two separate issues being discussed here.

1) The said notification not working correctly in case of standalone drives. The root cause is described here.

2) Libraries not working correctly with expired tapes. The root cause is under investigation.

I'm trying to highlight that in case of robotic libraries the notification works properly, it's expired tape logic that seems to be misbehaving.

Thanks.
v.Eremin
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby monstermania » Wed Jan 20, 2016 12:24 pm

v.Eremin wrote:2) Libraries not working correctly with expired tapes. The root cause is under investigation.

I opened a case # 01672206 and send today logs.
monstermania
Influencer

Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Dirk Klatt

Veeam Logoby StephanF » Wed Jan 20, 2016 1:03 pm

To keep you updated regarding the issue with tape libraries:
I just had a remote session with support were they collected debug logs. To me it was confirmed that this is a bug but the root cause is not known yet. The issue will be escalated immediately for analyzing and creating a fix.

Keep opening support cases so support is able to get as much information as possible.
StephanF
Enthusiast

Veeam Logoby kkuszek » Wed Jan 20, 2016 1:40 pm

I opened 01671505 which may have relevant logs to attach here.
kkuszek
Enthusiast

Liked: 5 times
Full Name: Kurt Kuszek

Veeam Logoby Dima P. » Wed Jan 20, 2016 5:05 pm

Hi folks,

QA team has confirmed both issues:

1. Standalone drive users get a faulty email notification. The said issue should be fixed in the upcoming Update 1.

2. Expired tapes are not overwritten automatically by tape job (only tapes expired before the upgrade procedure are affected). This issue will be addressed in a private fix, followed by Update 1. As a temporary solution, mark expired media as free manually or use a custom scripting. In order to request a hotfix, please, contact support team.
Dima P.
Veeam Software

PreviousNext

Return to Tape