VBK on Tape Clarification

Everything about backing up to tape

Re: VBK on Tape Clarification

Veeam Logoby B.F. » Fri May 29, 2015 2:57 pm

Thanks for pointing me to that thread. Looks like I'm not the only one in this boat. :)

Actually, if we go with pure Veeam, we could no longer go with the approach we are doing now. The biggest thing is there is no differential File to Tape backup in Veeam. Our offsite tape safe is not all that big. At present we only need 2 tapes offsite to get the latest data. The Full and the last Differential. If we were to go with Incrementals, we would need the full chain of tapes to go offsite.
B.F.
Expert

Liked: 6 times

Veeam Logoby v.Eremin » Fri May 29, 2015 3:21 pm

Got it. As mentioned in the referenced thread, there chances that this feature might be implemented in future. Though, the time frame when it will be provided (if at all) is not clear at the moment. Thanks.
v.Eremin
Veeam Software

Liked: 968 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Veeam Logoby B.F. » Fri May 29, 2015 7:01 pm

Another question has come up.

Say we have 10 VM's backed up to disk (1 vbk). Only 5 of those 10 needs to be archived to tape. Would this be possible based off of the 10 VM VBK or would we need to create 2 backup jobs (5 only needed for short term disk and the other 5 for longer term tape)?

Thanks
B.F.
Expert

Veeam Logoby Shestakov » Sat May 30, 2015 7:55 am

You can either create one job including 10 VMs or 2 different jobs with 5 VMs or any other combination. We recommend to combine VMs running same OS and applications for better deduplication results. Thanks!
Shestakov
Veeam Software

Liked: 395 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Veeam Logoby B.F. » Mon Jun 01, 2015 1:01 pm

I don't think this really answered the question. The question is would I be able to backup to tape only 5 of the VM's that is based on a 10 VM VBK?

Thanks
B.F.
Expert

Veeam Logoby Shestakov » Mon Jun 01, 2015 2:32 pm

No, it`s not feasible for tape jobs. Backup-to-tape job copies whole backup file to tape.
You need either to backup VMs separately if you want to use the backup job as source for backup-to-tape ones.
However, we will think how to make it possible in future. Thanks!
Shestakov
Veeam Software

Liked: 395 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Previous

Return to Tape